Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I felt Jordan's hand slide a little lower on my back, and my breath hitched in my throat.

"Someone's feeling a little daring tonight. Didn't I mention something about keeping your hands to yourself?" I said with a slight shake in my tone.

I couldn't see his face, as he was to the left of my head while we were dancing. Jordan was so dangerously close to me that I could feel his breath on my neck, slowly unnerving me. He looked angel-like tonight, his face slightly flushed from the drinks and his lips looking rather soft in the dim lighting.

"Well what's the fun in that? You of all people should know following the rules was never my style." He murmured into my ear. I accidently tripped on his foot and he steadied me for what seemed like the thousandth time tonight. This boy was seriously trying to destroy me, and me being tipsy was not helping. The usual depleted amounts of willpower I had were out the window, and that was definitely not a good sign.

Maybe the champagne wasn't a good idea.

"To be quite honest, I've never actually seen you do anything bad before. I mean, you don't even smoke anymore. You've turned into mush, Taylor." I teased without thought. What was I doing? Making fun of Jordan was an automatic death wish.

He suddenly pulled back and stared at me intensely, and I tried really hard to not meet his glance. He still swayed effortlessly while his eyes remained locked on me, and I gulped loudly.

What have I done?

"Firstly, I stopped smoking for you, and secondly, you clearly haven't spent enough time with me. I guess I'm just going to have to show you the trouble I can cause." He said cockily, and stopped dancing immediately.

Wait, he stopped smoking after I told him to at the rock climbing place? I tried to remember the last time I had seen him pull out his lighter but I didn't even have time to think before he was yanking me across the dance floor.

He was making long strides, and it was difficult for me to keep up with his pace. I silently thanked the heavens that I had worn my converse, or I would have been tripping and stumbling everywhere. He exited the ballroom swiftly, still latching on to my hand. I would've freaked out if I wasn't so worried about what Jordan had in store for us.

We had now reached the elevator, and I threw him a puzzled look that he didn't meet. The mischievous smirk on his face was permanently plastered on, and although it was incredibly attractive, it was even more terrifying.

After pressing the button, the doors immediately glided opened and he pulled me inside where an old couple stood waiting patiently. I silently prayed that they would stay on the lift to ensure that Jordan wouldn't do anything insane, but they quickly loaded off. Panic washed over me as I realized that no one else was getting on with us.

The doors squeaked closed and I nervously smoothed down my dress. The walls were covered in expensive looking chestnut colored wood that was probably older than my parents combined. It smelt like stale crackers and the golden buttons radiated with a musty yellow hue. There was even a prehistoric-looking drain in the center of the glossy floors. I thought it was odd but my attention was brought to Jordan leaning forward and pressing floor number 162 on the panel.

"Jordan, that's the highest floor in this building!" I piped, suddenly wondering if these were going to be my last moments. I had not even the slightest clue as to what he was going to do.

"I know, Sammy." He said calmly, absentmindedly rubbing the skin on the back of my hand with his thumb. I quickly glanced up at the arrow display at the top of the elevator that signaled we had just made it to the 27th floor.