Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The drive home in the limo was the usual silence except for Janet's constant bickering on the phone. She was making phone calls the whole trip. When I saw the driveway to our house, drowsiness washed over me. I had barely slept last night. Jer was at my door in an instant before I even reached the door handle.

He had an evil smile on his face as he opened the door. He knew he had won once again.

I approached the house dodging expensive cars that belong to my dad along the way. Palm trees momentarily shaded me from the blazing sun, and I was eternally grateful. I saw a familiar car parked along the driveway next and I felt a wave of frustration hit me.

I completely forgot Matt was coming over.

I was going to cancel after my schedule was bombarded with the audition from the underworld. We were supposed to meet at 4:00  pm and I was over an hour late. I raced up the stairs trying to get there as fast as possible. I swung open the door and was greeted by my butler, Franklin.

Franklin was French and unusually sassy. He's always one who's got all the juicy gossip in the house, and knows what you want before you even ask. He's got salt and pepper hair, and a very petite body with a big beer belly even though he refuses to drink anything other than expensive wine. He looks about 5'5, give or take a few inches.

"Il est à l'étage dans la chambre, Ms. Jackson." Franklin said politely. His hands crossed in front of him.

He's also teaching me French so I can appreciate more of his culture than just baguettes and cheese. He says I'll thank him later, and who knows, maybe I will. I could possibly end up in Paris one of these days with a curly mustache.

"Thanks, Frank!" I yelled flying up the two levels of stairs. I passed Barbra, the cleaning lady and my part-time therapist.

We usually had time to talk, considering she was the only girl I could speak to in the house about anything, but not today. She looked at me with sympathetic eyes as I raced past her.

This doesn't look too good.

Finally I got to my room, the third door to the right on the second level. I opened the door to find him sitting on my bed watching TV. I looked at him, but his eyes didn't meet mine. Instead, they stayed glued on the 50 inch plasma. He was ignoring me.

"I'm sorry, I know I'm late. We got stuck in traffic." I lied breathlessly, dropping my bag by the door. No way could I admit that I had forgot to cancel on him. That would only bring out his inner hulk that much more.

He turned off the TV and spun towards me, leaping off the memory foam. "So, what was it this time?" He snapped.

"I was at an audition, Matt. You would know if you actually cared about my career." I shot back, feeling irritated. Crap. I didn't mean that.

He stood up, his face bright red. I opened my mouth to apologize, but was immediately cut off.

"I care about your career a lot, considering how much I put up with." He growled fiercely. He used one of his hands to slick down his cowlick, something he often did when upset.

"Oh Matt, I'm so sorry that being with me is such a challenge for you." I barked at him, my voice dripping with sarcasm. Heat spreading rapidly on my face.

"Well it definitely hasn't been the most pleasant experience." He said coldly and stormed out of my room. Tears pooled in my eyes, making my vision blurry, and I slammed the door behind him.