Chapter one || New beginnings

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲

𝟒 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

"Sorry I'm late." I tell Val my boss. "The boys were being clingy and wouldn't let me leave." 

Setting my bag down and tying my apron around my waist, I join her in the kitchen. Val's a short seventy-year-old woman with white hair and wrinkles, she's like a second grandma to the boys and one of my closest friends. 

"That's ok dear, you know they are always welcome here." 

She knows I know this already, that doesn't stop her from reminding me every chance she gets. Val was kind enough to hire me four years ago after the twins were born. Four years that can't be right, adding everything up in my head and sure enough it really has been four years. 

I'm the manager at Val's eatery. It wasn't a hard decision to make considering we live in a small town there's only three people who work here. Val, me, and Whitney though she only works in the afternoon since she's still in high school. 

The work day goes by slower than usual and before I know it, I'm falling asleep while stirring pasta. "Abigail dear...Abby." Val shakes me awake. "I'm sorry Val."

"Are you sure you are fine dear?" 

I shake my head slightly, not sure if she sees this or not. "I didn't get much sleep last night. I thought it would get easier once the boys grew up but it's only gotten harder. Ace is scared of the dark therefore hates sleeping, and they both wake up constantly due to nightmares." 

"You need help Abby. Why don't you go home and get some rest I'll manage without you." 

One thing I love about Val is that she never gives me more than I can handle. But I can't go home we need the money. "I'm fine...really." Val leaves me alone shaking her head as she goes. I know what she's thinking, I'm too tough on myself I never take breaks. When you are a single mom to twin boys there's never a chance to take a break. 

I continue working refusing to let myself slip again, after my shift is up I grab my purse and make my way for the back door eager to see my babies. "Abby a quick word before you go." Turning around Val is there waist high to me holding a check. 

"Oh Val I can't take that." 

"Well too bad, because I'm giving it to you. Think of it as an early birthday present." 

"My birthday's not for anyone eight months." Taking the check from her it's triple from what I normally make. "I hate taking this it feels a lot like stealing."

She laughs, "it's not stealing if I'm giving it to you." 

Check in bag I make for the door again, only to have Val stop me once more. "Have you tried calling Nathan in a while?" 

This stops me in my tracks. Val's one of the select few who know the identity of the twins father. Putting a smile on my face I turn to her. "Yes," I lie. 

I called Nathan after I found out, and I have been calling Nathan every birthday, every holiday, and every chance I've gotten for the past four years. He hasn't picked up so I don't know why she thinks this time will be any different. 

Storming out the door I walk as fast as I can to my car. I don't even wait until I'm in my car to break down crying. I'm not mad at Val bless her heart she didn't know. Topics with Nathan aren't easy for me. He broke something in me, something I'm not sure I will ever get back. 

The commute to my parents house isn't a long one. Magnolia Creek North Carolina isn't a very big town, it's like our own little slice of 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘. Pulling into my parents driveway, my dad is coaching the boys baseball. Of course, this puts a smile on my face. 

I was worried at first of how my parents would react to me being pregnant. They love their grandsons, it's not like my mom can judge me considering I'm the result of a teen pregnancy. "Momma!" Ace yells running towards me with Baxter not far behind. They plow into me, and I lean to give them hugs and kisses like I haven't seen them in months. 

"I brought you both back a surprise." 

They are bouncing with excitement as I pull two chocolate chip cookies out of my purse that I grabbed from Val's before leaving, they are from the eatery's menu but they are my original recipe. Val loved them so much the first time I made for her, she inside add them to the menu. 

"Thank you, mommy." The twins say in unison. They run off to join Ellie-Kate my sister, their aunt who also happens to be the same age as them. People usually mistake them for triplets. Conversations can get pretty awkward when I tell them it's quite the opposite. I love my mom but being pregnant at the same time as her wasn't my proudest moment. 

Once they go inside, my mom makes her way outside. "I hope they behaved for you while I was gone?" 

"They were complete angles like always." Mom replies, dad shakes his head agreeing. "They love playing baseball must run in the family." 

I laugh along with them; I know my dad was just joking but his comment gets to me. Looking at my parents it's clear I got all my features from my father. His dark brown hair, and grayish blue eyes. 

"So—" mom starts. 

Uh oh this can't be good. They have identical expressions on their faces, the same expressions that indicates they are about to gang up on me. "So..." dad echoes. 

"Are the two of you going to get to the point?" The two of them glance at each other, and I cross my arms growing impatient.

"Me and your father were wondering when you would start dating again? It's been four years Abby we think maybe—"

"Oh my God mom! When are you going to stop being so obsessed with my love life? I'm not ready to date...I don't think I ever will be." I say the last part quieter so I'm not sure if they hear me or not.

"We are not trying to get involved, we just think it would be good for the boys to have a father figure in their lives." 

"Really because it's sure sounding to me like you are getting involved. The boys could care less! What about me, what about what I want?" 

"Abby—"

Shaking my head, I hold up my hands. "It's fine really, I'm just going to go." 

After buckling the boys into their car seats, I back out of my parents driveway. Why must they always put themselves in my drama? I'm fine, I don't need a relationship to be happy. As long as I have my boys, we will be ok. And sure, eventually they will ask me about their father, but until then they are all I need the two of them my boys, my family. 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

I know this chapter isn't very long most chapters in this book won't be too long. So yeah this was the first chapter...what did y'all think? Also aren't the twins the cutest? 🥺 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Wednesday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks