Chapter twenty-two || Burnt scones & dates

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 

Love is a complicated thing. 

It's not always easy to say, and once you do you can never take it back. It may only be four small letters, but they make a big difference. 

Love is waking up every morning with your soulmate wrapped in your arms, it's holding your kids for the first time, it's that feeling when you know this is forever. I have known since I came back home, and saw Abby for the first time in years that my love for her will never fade. 

I tried so hard to rid myself of her, in the end it only made me lover her more. What's not to love? She's beautiful, smart, can achieve anything she puts her mind to, and she's been a single mother for four years now. Abby has got to be the strongest person, and I admire her for it. 

When telling her my feelings yesterday she never gave me a direct answer. In fact, she didn't give me an answer at all, instead she changed the subject. I'm not trying to push her into anything. Especially not now when our love is so fragile. 

Abby has already let me move in, and now refers to me as the boy's father. Which are both huge steps! What if she never says it? I know what I want but what if she no longer feels the same? That's a possibility and a risk I'm not sure I want to take. 

Turning to face her she's sound asleep. Last night we went to bed without even a kiss. Is she mad at me, did I do something to upset her? And if I did how am I supposed to fix it? 

Watching her she looks so peaceful. I used to do this all the time in college when we dated. I would pretend to be asleep sometimes just so I could watch her sleep, I was in awe of how lucky I was to have her in my life. 

My stomach grumbles and it's then I remember just how hungry I am. All I had for dinner last night was chicken nuggets and popcorn. It grumbles again, I need to think of something fast before I wake Abby. When I moved in she told me I could use everything in this house as my own, I could make breakfast but I can't do it without making her something as well. 

I could attempt one of her vegan breakfast recipes. Looking once more to make sure she's still asleep, putting on some clean shorts I head to the kitchen. My mouth waters just by looking at the recipes. Still not knowing what to make I grab random ingredients from the pantry. 

I could make something from scratch without even using a silly old recipe. But I want this to be something good, and I'm not an experienced cook. Abby owns a lot of cinnamon and honey. What could I possibly make with that? Flipping back through the book I find a recipe that uses both. 

Vegan honey cinnamon scones. Sounds good to me, getting to work preparing the food. Before long the kitchen smells like the inside of a bakery. Fingers crossed this turns out good. Abby's picky when it comes to baked goods, I'm more fit for cooking but even then, I'm not a pro. 

I once burned Mac and cheese in college. And it wasn't the box kind, no this was one of those little microwave packs. That's the day I realized that if baseball didn't work out I could never major in culinary. 

I'm making the honey glaze when Abby walks into the kitchen wearing a purple silk nightgown that makes her look like a queen. My jaw drops because fuck she's messing with my mind. "Something smells good." 

"I was going to surprise you with breakfast in bed." 

Her eyes go wide, and she gives me an apologetic look. "It's fine really. Are you still surprised?" 

"Depends on what your making, and if it's vegan or not?" Grabbing her hand, I pull her to my chest. "Scones and yes." I tell her before kissing her neck. She moans which makes me go even crazier wanting more and more of her.