Chapter seventeen || The vegan pasta debate

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

Ending the call, looking at the clock over the microwave I see that there's an hour for me to get dinner made, and change into a nicer outfit before Nathan gets here. I'm not entirely sure why I invited him over, in fact I'm kind of nervous of having him over. 

I know I misled him with all the seductive talk about old times, the longing stares, and closeness of him being here. But what I said was true as well I can't trust him, and I'm not sure I will ever be able to trust him again. 

Just because I can't trust Nathan doesn't mean I can deprive the boys of seeing their father, and I can't keep Nathan from seeing the twins just because of what may or may not still between us. Which is nothing...he can flash his smile and make sweet talk all he want me and Nathan Scott are over. 

Checking the time one more time, I head towards my room to change into my favorite white blouse and a pair of jeans. I then head off towards the end of the hall to check on the boys. Their room is on the other side of the living room. Far enough to give me a little space when I need it, but not too far in case something were to happen. 

Sure enough they are tucked peacefully in their beds still asleep from their nap. They normally don't sleep this long however they both hardly got any sleep last night. Life was so much easier when they were babies and didn't keep each other up talking at all hours of the night. 

Back in the kitchen I pull up a recipe for vegan pasta, and get to work preparing the food. I also pull a bag of frozen organic chicken nuggets out of the freezer for the boys, along with boxed macaroni. 

Nathan shows up thirty minutes later with a bottle of wine. "You didn't have to bring anything." I say moving aside to let him into the house. 

"I know but I stopped by the grocery on the way over, and decided to grab a bottle...just in case." Taking the bottle from him I move back into the kitchen to stir the pasta. "So what's for dinner?" He tries peaking over my shoulder to see what's in the pot but has no luck. "Vegan pasta." 

Moving to the cutting board I start chopping up peppers to mix into the pasta. "Oh..." I notice the hesitation in his voice as he says this. 

One thing I remember vividly about him is that he's one of the pickiest people on earth. "I also made some chicken nuggets and macaroni...just in case." He gives me shocked look like he can't believe I implied he would be eating kiddy food. 

"No...no I will try the vegetable pasta or whatever it's called." 

Before I get the chance to answer him, the boys pull him into the living room where they have been watching Disney + since they awoke. He plops down on the couch making himself comfortable before both of the twins pull themselves onto his lap. 

It brings a smile to my face at how well Nathan has taken all of this. Being a parent isn't the easiest thing on the planet, and he makes it look like it is. He's a good father I feel bad ever doubting that about him. 

Right as I'm pouring the peppers into the noodles, and sauce. It splashes up and some gets on my blouse. "Shit." Nathan must have heard me swear because the next thing I know he's by my side. "Everything ok?" 

"Yeah, I got pasta sauce got on my blouse." I say wiping the spot. 

"Here let me help." He moves to stand directly in front of me. "A friend of mine taught me this trick in college." Grabbing the towel from my hands he pours a little dish soap onto it and starts dabbing at the spot. 

"Why are you wearing white anyway?" 

"I figured you would be dressing nice, and I happen to like this shirt."