Chapter fifteen || I can't trust you

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

The next two weeks go by in a blur. I spend most of my time busy with work, or looking for a place to open my business. So far, no luck on the later. I'm not giving up I know the perfect place is out there somewhere, and it will come to me when I'm ready. 

When I'm not busy with either of those, I'm hanging out with Nathan and our boys. I would like to say I'm surprised by how well he took the news that he's a father, but the truth is I'm not. Nathan was always good with kids when we were dating, but now he's a whole other person. Watching him play with our boys is an image I never thought I'd get to see. 

My Nathan is back and while I love every minute of watching him play with the twins, and actually being a part of their lives. Another part of me wants to proceed with caution because he's still the same person who abandoned me when I needed him most. 

Watching as he lifts Baxter up on his shoulders, while Ace clings to his legs, and he walks around wildly like he's being attacked as the boys laugh. Reminds me just how attached they have become to Nathan over these two weeks. And that scares me because what am I supposed to tell them when Nathan no longer wants this, or he decides to go back to baseball? 

I haven't told him about my doubts of letting him back in. Why would I? He's been nothing but great, and I don't want to scare him away or be the reason things get awkward because I was too scared. I haven't even told my parents I'm scared of what they might say about the matter, so until that time comes, I will just keep living my life. 

"Come join us mommy." Baxter calls from Nate's shoulders. 

Nathan invited us over today to have lunch with Lucy. Looking over at her she just shrugs, and continues her crocheting. Benny barks chasing the twins around the yard. I stand joining my boys in the grass where they are now playing tag. 

"Tag you are it." Ace laughs tagging me instantly. 

"Hey!" I say, "I only just got here." 

With that I'm chasing the three of them around the backyard. Despite two of the tag members being four, they have one advantage they are faster than me and Nathan combined. Another reminder that I'm getting older every day and that time isn't on anyone's side. 

"Ok," I say panting. "I need a break." I'm breathing hard, realizing I'm talking to myself the twins and Nathan are nowhere to be found. Where the hell are they? They couldn't have gone too far Lucy's backyard isn't that big. 

As if right on cue Nathan jumps out from behind a bush with the water hose and starts spraying me with water. I scream because holy hell that water is cold. Jogging does me no good, because they only chase me more. 

The water makes the grass slippery, and muddy. So much so that I slip falling on my ass, and getting mud all over my favorite shirt. "Shoot," I say trying to wipe it away. 

"Crap," Nathan says coming over to where I sit. "Are you ok Abby?" 

"No, I'm not ok my clothes are all muddy and wet. Not to mention my butt is going to be sore tomorrow." 

He looks deflated, "I'm so sorry." He says setting the hose down reaching for my hands. Which is exactly what I was hoping he would do, because as he goes to grab my arm, I grab the hose. 

"Tricked you!" I yell spraying the three of them with hose water. Lucy laughs, "she's a smart one." 

"Seriously! How did I fall for that?" 

I'm wondering the same thing because he's far from dumb. He only pretended to be in school which baffles me, why did he have to hide so much of the real him in school. I like those parts of him the most it's a shame more people don't know him like I do.