Chapter twenty-four || Party fun party

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 

Abby's mad at me. I know this because she hasn't let out a word since we started the drive to the Vaughn estate. She's not exactly happy about spending her night with Rosemary, I thought tonight could be a chance for them to put the past behind them and reconcile. 

"We can just go somewhere else." Finally saying, her gaze shifts to mine and she shakes her head. 

"No, you want to go I'm not going to stop you. Besides this is our night, not mine, and most definitely not Rosemary's. I can manage one night with her." Grinning I say, "ok but if you change your mind, I won't be mad." 

"Oh my God Nathan if you keep going, I will change my mind." 

She goes back to looking out her window. The Vaughn's live a little outside of Magnolia creek. Closer to the beach their house is the size of an actual castle. She stiffens as we pull into the driveway. "Is this their actual house?" 

"Don't act like you have never been here before." Abby accuses grabbing for her door handle. "We can still go if you would prefer?" She looks back and forth before grabbing for my hand. "I'm fine really." She kisses my cheek and I can't help the sinking feeling in my chest that she didn't give me a proper kiss.

Did I scare her off by confessing my feelings this morning? "Come on," she gives my hand a little pull. "You need to make new friends anyway." Climbing out of the truck we take the stares to the front door, the ring the doorbell. Rosemary answers wearing a bright yellow dress, and her matching hair in a French braid. "Oh goody more guests." 

She lets us in, though I'm aware of the mischievous look she's giving Abigail. "The others are in the living room make yourselves comfortable." She tells us before marching off in the opposite direction. Abby was right that girl is up to no good.

The living room is packed with a group of couples. Some familiar faces, some I have never seen before. Is it possible our town has grown in the last four years? It shouldn't be this weird towns grow all the time, I just always pictured Magnolia creek as the little town that people passed through on their way to somewhere better. 

"Abby...Nathan I'm so happy the two of you could make it." The person I'm guessing is Rosemary's fiancé says. "It's nice to be here." I answer shaking the hand he placed in front of mine. "Why don't the two of you get comfortable." 

We join a few others on the couch and Abby holds a conversation with Ryan about her project, and the boys. Suddenly I'm the person feeling out of place when parties used to be my thing. Sure, I didn't go to many high school parties but that doesn't mean I avoided them either. 

"Feeling a little uncomfortable?" James asks finding me alone near a miniature tree. "A little, everyone seems so close." 

"That's what happens when you leave for eight years." Frowning I correct him, "it was four years but I get where you're coming from." 

"No, Nathan. You were gone for eight years. You started slipping away while in college." My chest tightens is that how he sees it? "Is that how you really feel?" He nods, "it's like we went from being friends to strangers." 

Fuck.

"I'm sorry I never meant for things to turn out that way." I really didn't me and James were supposed to go to college together, become pro together, meet girls or guys, and get married have families. Everything was supposed to be together and one injury ruined it all. We did everything backwards and I'm only just now realizing how much I miss our friendship. 

He pats my shoulder, "we're good." He avoids my eyes as he says this looking off into the distance, turning to Abby and Ryan still deep in conversation. "If it weren't for you practically ignoring me, I never would have found Ryan."