Chapter four || Fired

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲: 𝐒𝐨 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞? 

The message pops up at four while I'm in the middle of my algebra class. The moment I see it's from Abby my face heats, to be honest I never thought she would agree to go out on a date with me. When she said yes I was eager to make the first date be spectacular, and it was. It was so spectacular that she agreed to go out with me a second time. 

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧: 𝐈𝐟 𝐈 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞, 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐭? 

"Nathan no phones in class." My teacher calls from her desk. Miss Foster has a strict no phones in class policy, which I completely understand because education is everything and I respect her. But my major isn't anything too important my main focus is baseball and only baseball. Silencing my phone I try to concentrate on my schoolwork, but my mind wanders to thoughts of her. 

I hope she loves our second date as much as the first. It was pretty hard coming up with something that could top that. It's supposed to be a secret, but Abby makes it hard to keep secrets not only that I hate keeping things from her. 

When class lets out she's there waiting for me. "What are you doing on this side of campus?" Her classes are on the other side of campus, how is it possible she made it here so fast? 

"You weren't answering any of your texts. So, can you please tell me where we are going?" She gives me a pouty face, the one she knows I can't resist. 

"Fine, a friend of mine is giving me keys to his dad's ice rink for the night." 

She squeals with excitement. "How exciting! How much did you have to pay him?" 

"Not...much." 

We continue to walk down the hall; I might as well walk her back to her dorm since she walked possibly ran all the way over here. "There is something I should tell you." She says as we round the corner reaching her dorm. "What?" 

"I don't know how to ice skate." Taking her hands in mine I whisper. "You don't need to know, I'll teach you." 

Abby looks away trying to hide her blush. "I'll pick you up at six." I lean to kiss her, we bonk heads and she lets out the most adorable laugh I've ever heard. Trying again we get the kiss right, when I pull away to look into her eyes she brings her fingers to her lips. Almost as if she were shocked by what just happened, and when I walk away, I realize she was shocked because that was our first kiss. 

I pick Abby up no later than six, the entire drive to the ice rink is silent. Why isn't she speaking was the kiss not good, or is she scared to talk about it with me? I'm about to speak up when I pull into the rink's parking lot. Abby rushes out of the car; ok the kiss couldn't have been that bad? 

While lacing up our shoes I can't take my eyes off her. I'm not the type of person to ignore things when there is a problem. Reaching out I grab her arm, before she can make her way onto the ice. "We are good right?" 

"Why wouldn't we be?" Abby asks pushing away from me and onto the ice. Fine, if she wants to play hard to get then so will I. Abby isn't bad at all, for her first time skating she hasn't fallen once. She does a spin on the ice and falls backwards landing on her back, spoke too soon. 

"Nathan," she calls. 

Oh no I'm not falling for her tricks; I know exactly what's going to happen if I go over there. "Nathan...please." She sounds really concerned which makes me feel guilty. What if she really is hurt? Making my way over to her she holds her arm out and I take it. Only to be pulled to the ground by her. 

"I can't believe you feel for that." Neither can I to be honest. We lay there laughing until she leans over and kisses me for the second time. I guess things are good between us after all. 

"Nathan...Nathan...Nathan." 

I wake up in the hospital with Neil sitting by my bed talking to himself. He doesn't yet know that I'm awake. What happened, why am I here, how long was I asleep? Jerking to the left to look around causes a hot searing pain to travel up my arm. I hiss in pain alerting to Neil that I'm wide awake. 

"You're awake?" 

"Yeah, what happened?" 

"You were drunk...and got hurt. It was my fault; you shouldn't have been playing." 

"How did the game go, we at least won right?" A hint a fear in my voice. I have never ever had a drink the night a big game, let alone played drunk. 

Neil shakes his head, "I should probably warn you, I'm on probation from playing just because I knew about you being drunk. I'm not sure what they have planned for you but I can assure you it's not going to be good."

"What point are you getting at Neil?" 

"Just whatever happens you will always have a place living with me." 

"Thanks Neil," I tell him patting him on the back. After Neil leaves my nurse comes in to give me my lunch and ask me some questions. One of the questions she asks me is if I'm, ok? Of course, I'm not fucking ok. If I were, I wouldn't be here in this place. Once I have answered all of her stupid questions, she looks at me smiles and speaks. 

"You have another visitor is it ok for them to come in?" I nod and in walks my coach. He does not look happy; he looks as if he's minutes away from exploding. "Drunk! Seriously Nathan?" 

"I'm sorry coach..." 

"I'd say so, the doctor tells me because of your injury you may not be able to play again." What! Why am I only just hearing about this? "I will work hard to recover." 

"I'm sorry Nathan but I'm not willing to bet on it. I hate to do this because you are one of my star players, but I think it's best if we let you go." 

"Come on coach be reasonable." 

"I am being reasonable. It's probably for the best anyway, drunk you were playing drunk. There are always consequences for these things." I know he's right but I don't say anything. I have been playing baseball since I was four years old, what kind of life am I supposed to live without baseball? 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Here's a peek into Nathan and Abby's college life. Aren't they the cutest? I can't wait for y'all to read more of this story and see where it goes. Especially now that Nate's been fired...😉

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Friday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks