Chapter sixteen || Making amends

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 

Standing there in the kitchen with soap suds up my arm, a dirty dish towel over my shoulder, and a half-washed plate in my hands. I keep going over what just went down. Abby stood there and told me she can't trust me. Not that I blame her, I'm not exactly innocent in all of this. 

It just hurts and maybe I misread the situation, but for a moment there it seemed like those feelings I left behind all those years ago were shared between us. Then again she spent the past four years getting over me. Not falling back into that the second I came back was smart on her part. 

I'm just glad Lucy wasn't here to see what went down. She went to visit grandpa's grave and shouldn't be home any time soon. She's been doing once a month since he died, I used to as well but I haven't been to visit pops since I was sixteen. 

Finishing the dishes, and making a plate of dinner for when Lucy gets home. I head to my room turning the tv on, and flipping through channels because I can't make up my mind. When that fails, I pull up some Spotify playlist that I made years ago. 

The chorus of a song starts playing and I lose myself in the lyrics. Flipping my phone over I see the song is called best part of me by Landon Austin. It matches perfectly how I feel about Abby, she's the best part of me the part I let go of too soon. 

"I like that song." Lucy says standing in my doorway. She must have come home without me noticing. "Me too." Her hair is damp, "did it rain?" Her hand moves to touch her hair and she nods. "It just started...he liked the rain. Your grandpa." 

"How is he?" Lucy always tells me of how he would dream of the days he would get to spend with his grandchildren, and how it's such a shame he didn't get much time to know me. "You should go see for yourself it's been what ten years?" Way to make me feel guiltier than I already do. But I have my reasons for not going. 

"Today was a good day." 

Nodding I say, "yeah it was." I don't bother to bring up what happened after she left. Some things are worth keeping to yourself. If I tell Lucy she will just tell me what I already know I moved too fast Abby needs space, and time to think. 

"I haven't seen Abby smile like that since you left." Which makes me even happier that I hadn't told her about what happened after she left. She's been our biggest shipper since the beginning. She knew about my crush before I told anyone, and when we stared dating Lucy was always giving me advice. 

Part of her always knew I would come home, and that those feelings that I had buried would resurface. Now I have ruined everything and if I tell her that she will be so disappointed. Staying quiet is the best option for everyone if Abby chooses to tell anyone about what happened tonight that's on her. 

"I left you a plate of dinner in the microwave." I tell her. 

The song ends as she leaves the room. If what Lucy said I'd true, then we are the best parts of each other. Which means I'm not giving up that easily, I will have to prove to her that I can do better and that I won't leave her ever again. 

Another song comes on, grabbing my headphones I pop them into my ears. Knocking on Lucy's door she answers immediately. "I'm going on a run." Her head tilts, "it's raining outside." Shrugging her off I reply, "a little rain never hurt anyone." 

She grabs my uninjured arm and gives it a tight squeeze. "Is it safe with your arm being the way it is?" My arm no long hurts sure, it gets sore from time to time but it's healing just fine. "Probably not but I'm going anyway." Sighing she gives me one of her be safe looks as I step out the door.