Chapter twenty-five || Wine & Gossip

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

"Oh god did you see Norah's dress Thursday?" One of Rosemary's annoying friends announces. 

I roll my eyes, gossiping just like old times classic Rosemary Vaughn. This is the exact reason why I hated going to high school parties growing up. All the girls ever wanted to do was gossip, like there wasn't anything else interesting to talk about? 

Wine is being served and thank God because there is no way I'll be able to survive this night without three or five glasses. "I'm glad you brought it up Mellie." Rosemary says taking a long sip emptying her glass. "Who wears something that ugly?" 

The girls laugh, as for me I feel bad for whoever Norah is. She doesn't deserve to be talked about behind her back by two of this towns meanest. As soon as we are back home, I'm going to give Nathan the punishment he deserves for making me come here tonight. 

"We're out of wine." Another of her friends comments. 

Rosemary stands, "I'll go get another bottle. No juicy stuff until I get back, ok?" They all nod their heads mechanically, and I know they'll do so. I would hate to be the poor person who disobeyed an order given from her. Grabbing the bottle, she makes way for the door. "Abby, would you mind coming with?" 

I'm taking a sip as she says this, and I almost choke. Why on earth does she want me to come with her, what game is she playing? Following her to the kitchen she sets the empty bottle on the counter, and talks with a maid about getting a new one. Before turning her gaze to me and giving me one her her classic mischievous Vaughn smirks. 

"You have been quiet tonight." 

Wishing my wine were with me for a little extra confidence I answer. "Just a lot on my mind at the moment." 

"Right, with all this talk of a...bakery I'm surprised you weren't too busy to come tonight?" Her grins spreads wider showing teeth. "Then again you seemed pretty busy in my bathroom." 

A chill rolls down my body. Oh my God she knows! Staring at her in disbelief she's just trying to get under my skin. "I...um..."

"It's ok Abigail tons of people do things like this at my parties I'm used to it by now. I just didn't except you of all people to do so." 

Fuck this I need to get away fast before she can trick me any farther. She's like a spider and I'm the fly getting caught in her web. I'm seconds away from running when something she says stops me in my tracks. "So how has that been?" 

"What?"

"Don't play dumb now. How has this thing with Nathan been going? I've heard the rumors and wow are they impressive." My hand closes into a fist readying to throw something at her other than cake this time. "Don't act like you didn't start those rumors." If there's drama around Rosemary is the first to know, and her rumors spread like wildfire. 

She lets out her signature Rosemary Vaughn laugh. It sounds a lot like if the evil stepmother and Ursula had a child. "Why I already know the truth, why would I feel the need to spread silly little rumors?" I don't know maybe because your evil, malicious, vindictive bitch. "How did you know about us anyway?" 

And just when I thought it impossible her smile turns even more mischievous as the maid comes back carrying a bottle of red. Watching as the maid heads off in the direction she came, Rosemary turns back to me and replies. "It wasn't hard to figure out to be honest." 

Which is fair the boys do look an awful lot like their father, and it's not like me and Nathan tried to hid our relationship throughout college. Honestly anyone could have figured it out if they really wanted to. Rosemary just so happened to be the one to put all the pieces together. "It's a shame really that he's moving all the way down here, where his talents can't grow." 

Looking at the bottle in her hands I ask, "is there a reason for this conversation? We got the bottle let's go." Walking back towards the back patio, Rosemary doesn't follow. "You're trapping him you know." 

Stopping abruptly, and facing her, "what did you just say?" 

"You can't seriously believe Nathan would love you enough to stay here forever? He's not made for small towns like magnolia creek, he will leave eventually he did it once already." 

Her words sting but it's the truth. It's exactly what I have been warning myself of all along, and look I've fallen right back into him knowing the outcome of this can't be good. "You know what Rosemary when are you going to wake up and realize you are a cold-hearted bitch?" And with that I'm running to the bathroom and away from her, her words. 

Slamming the door shut, then locking it. I stumble to the floor resting my head against the bathtub as hot tears make their way down my cheeks. Rosemary has made my life miserable since high school, this time seems worse. And I know it has everything to do with Nathan and the trust he shattered the day he walked out of my life. 

If he wouldn't have left me, I wouldn't always be second guessing what his next move will be, I can't trust him anymore. He broke me once and I refuse to let him do it again. Maybe I should just end whatever this is before we both get hurt. 

A soft knock sounds from the door. "Abby are you ok?" 

Nathan's voice makes me feel warm inside at least for a moment. That is until I remember the reason, I'm in here. "Yeah, I'm all good just had a little too much wine." Playing it off like I'm drunk is better than admitting the truth. 

"Can you open the door please?" Doing as he asks, opening the door, and watching as he takes me in. My mascara runs down my face, and I know my hair is frizzy due to humidity. "What's wrong?" 

He holds his arms out a sign I should go to him, let him hold me. Staying put his face falls and he knows that something is up. "Nothing is wrong...I think we should go though." 

"Abby...what's wrong?" He repeats not giving up. 

"NOTHING!" I scream throwing my hands in the air. "Nothing is wrong just leave it alone Nathan." He flinches, "I'll go start the car then." 

As soon as he's gone, I fall to the floor again, a new set of tears washing down my face. How is it that just hours ago we were in this very bathroom as happy as could be, and the Rosemary mentions one thing and suddenly I'm feeling awful about everything? 

Picking myself off the floor I head for the truck. Nathan's already behind the wheel ready to go. Settling down in the passenger seat he leans over and asks me once more if I'm, ok? 

"JUST LET IT GO NATHAN! Please..."

Leaning away from me he hits the steering wheel once before pulling out of the driveway. "I'm not sure what happened tonight, but something or someone happened and I know you are not ok." He pauses to face me for a second before giving his attention back to the road. "What I don't understand is why you won't allow yourself to open up to me especially after all we have been through?" 

Rosemary's going to sleep good tonight considering she managed to achieve her goal. Hell, maybe this was her plan all along, to get under my skin after letting him back into my life and making me second guess everything. If it was what she had planned then it's working. 

Even though I shouldn't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, I do. Rosemary doesn't lie she gives you the hard truth and watches as your life slowly crumbles to the ground. I guess she's finally getting everything she's wanted all along. 

Me miserable and alone all because the two of us had some stupid little feud in high school? Nathan was right I should have forgiven her and let the past go. But the thing about the past is it always has a way of coming back in the end and screwing with you. 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Sorry guys but their relationship can't stay happy and perfect forever...🥺 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Wednesday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks