Chapter eleven || Forgiveness isn't so easy

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

Fridays are chaotic due to the come and go  traffic of customers at work, however this Friday has been even more chaotic. The boys caught some virus and woke up sick, and my mom couldn't take them. So I ended up taking them to work with me. 

They sit at a booth playing while I take orders, and serve food to the hungry customers. But when Nathan walks into Val's, it's catches me completely off guard. 

𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒆𝒄𝒕.

Our eyes meet we stare each other down; he waves I look away ignoring him. He then has the nerve to sit in my section. Nathan knows perfectly well it's my section, because I used to work here back in high school and he would come here almost every night. 

𝑺𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒍𝒚! 

How am I supposed to serve him and tend to the boys without him finding out? I used to dream of a time when Nathan would answer one of my calls, and I would tell him about the twins and he'd come running back to us. After four years you start to lose hope, and I guess I did. I lost so much hope waiting for him to come back, and now that he's finally here I've realized that I don't need nor want him in my life. 

Glancing up from the counter he's doing a horrible job a pretending to look at the menu considering it's upside down. Do I really want to serve him? No, but I have no other choice. I can't let him know he's gotten under my skin. 

Hesitantly I walk over to his booth notepad in hands, ready to take his order. Even though I have it memorized by now. "What would you like to drink" 

"Abby...please hear me out." 

Great this again. When is he going to learn I have nothing to say to him? "By the way your menu's upside down." 

He looks back and forth between me, and the menu before placing it face down on the table. "Abigail..." 

"This is my place of work Nathan unless you plan on ordering please leave." I say coldly. 

"A water would be nice. Abby I—"

Quickly I walk away before he gets the chance to finish. Am I being mean? Probably but he deserves it, and if he wants to talk to me then he has to earn it. The bell above the door rings as Whitney walks in. Between all the chaos I had forgotten that today was only a half day of school, and that she would be coming in early to help. 

Whitney ties her apron around herself as she joins me behind the counter. Where I'm filling Nathan's cup up with water extra ice just how he likes it. Then head back to his booth and give it to him. His brows furrow, "extra ice?" 

"It's your favorite. What are you ordering?" 

Nathan pushes his menu away, "you already know." 

On my notepad I scribble a bacon cheeseburger with no lettuce, easy on the mustard. With a side of curly fries, and a piece of peach pie to balance everything out. At least that's what he used to tells me anyway. "That'll be right out." Grabbing his menu  I turn to walk away but he catches my arm. 

"So, how's life been?" 

"Ok I guess." 

I leave him again to put his order in. Watching behind the counter for a second his eyes remain glued to his phone, and the boys resume their playing. Whitney is currently taking orders for her section, meaning Val must be in her office. Turning to Tate I say, "I know you're busy but if you could please keep an eye on the boys while I go talk to Val I'd appreciate it."