Chapter five || Cake face

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲 

How could he be so reckless? 

The image of Nathan falling to the ground clutching his arm stayed with me weeks after it happened. I try my best not to think about it or him, after all doesn't he deserve this? But the more I think about it, the more I realize no matter all the bad things he's done I will always care for him. After all no one deserves an injury as bad as the one he got. 

It's been on every headline in every newspaper and magazine. 'Pro baseball player Nathan Scott acquired series injuries in last Saturday's game. Said injuries could jeopardize Scott from ever playing again.' This had to be just rumors, Nathan is going to play again. He has to what kind of person would he be without baseball being the center of his world? 

••••••••••••••

I don't have OCD I just like things organized, and planned out ahead of time. I'm the type of person who hates being late and always has a plan b just in case. Today isn't any different, got the boys up and fed, got them to school ready for daycare, took them to daycare. Normally I would just head straight to work however I have some free time before work, heading home I decide it's time to clean out my closet I've been putting it off since last summer. 

Halfway through and I have barely made any progress. I'm a sentimental person and a lot of this stuff brings back memories. Like the teddy bear I had as a kid, or the UNCW college sweatshirt that belonged to Nathan...it still smells like him. Hesitating for a moment it goes in the donate pile. I have no use for it, and there's really no reason to keep it now that me and Nate have broken up. 

A pink notebook catches my eye, pulling it out of my closet it's labeled Abby's dream book. I thought I had lost this when I moved here. Me and my mom stayed up late the night before freshman year of high school to make this. It's filled with pictures of my dream bakery and old Williams family recipes. 

It's a silly dream I haven't given it much thought since having the twins, owning my own bakery has been something I have wanted for so long. I keep a jar of savings on my nightstand it's nowhere near to having enough money. It's a dream for the future, and I'm a determined person I have no doubt that it will be a great success.

••••••••••••

Work Carries on like usual, the same customers come and go. Every once in a while, we get the occasional custom birthday cake order. Then a familiar blonde-haired blue-eyed person walks into Val's. Rosemary Vaughn the biggest gossip in Magnolia Creek. 

"Hello Rosemary," I say through clenched teeth. 

We used to be friends once upon a time, before she turned into the biggest gossip and almost ruined my life in high school. The Vaughn's are known to care about no one but themselves and Rosemary is the worst of them all, I find it hard to believe we were ever friends. 

"Abigail," she does this fake laugh thing like she's actually happy to see me. "How are you?" 

"I have been good, what can I do for you?" 

Rosemary claps her hands together. "As you probably already know I'm engaged!" She holds her hand out for me to see. Holy shit that's a big ring, they make rings that big? 

"I didn't know at all...congratulations!" I try to sound as excited as I can but it comes out all high pitched. I'm not jealous of her, people like Rosemary marry for money not love. In fact I'd hate to be the poor soul that has to put up with someone like her for the rest of my life. 

"We are throwing an engagement party soon I'll need a cake by then." 

Don't let her get to you I tell myself, she's just being her bratty little self just deal with her until then. Taking a deep breath I say "sure, just write all the details down here." I hand her a piece of paper. "And I will see what we can do for you."