Chapter three || This can't be good

𝐀𝐛𝐛𝐲

Mom calls me in the morning most likely to apologize for yesterday's events. I have half a mind to ignore the call because really I'm not in the mood to talk right now, I'm not normally the type to ignore calls from my parents, I love them. However, that's no excuse for them to stick their noses in my business. After the third ring I hit the answer button, all is quite on the other end. 

"Mom?" 

"Oh, Abby I'm sorry me and your father never meant to cross the line. We respect all that you have done, you are our strong brave girl. We never meant to upset you." 

"I love you mama." 

She's been taking care of me for a long time, it's in her motherly instincts to take care of me even now. "There is one more thing I would like to discuss..." I knew there was a reason behind this phone call. Her pause is brief but I can tell it's a hard subject just by that pause. 

"Ok..." 

"You and the boys are still coming tonight, right?" 

Oh...I had almost forgotten that tonight was baseball night. Then it dawns on me why she's acting so strange on this call the cougars play tonight, the same team that Nathan plays on. While I'm glad she's scared to address this subject with me, I also can't be scared of him forever he's the father of my children for crying out loud. 

"Yes, is there anything you need me to bring?" 

Our family treats the baseball season like the super bowl, big get togethers and a lot of junk food. "Nope we are all good see you tonight, love you Abs." 

Hanging up the phone I check the time, the boys will be up soon enough. Making my way into the kitchen I grab ingredients to make vegan blueberry pancakes, mine and the boys favorite. Pouring the mixed batter onto the griddle, I close my eyes and breathe in the smell. 

Tonight is sure to be fun, I used to look forward to baseball get togethers at my parents house. Not since Nathan joined our favorite team, the team my dad used to play for. It hurts knowing he's only three hours away, and could come home at any time but chooses not to. Would he come home if he knew they existed, would he want this a family with me? 

I head over to my parents house around noon to help my mom with the setup. Everyone is wearing North Carolina cougar's jerseys. Everyone chooses to ignore the fact that Nathan plays for the cougars. As if he can read my thoughts my younger brother Skyler (Luke) rushes past me wearing Nathan's jersey. 

Well...almost everyone in my family. Luke is obsessed with the fact that I not only dated a pro baseball player, but that I'm the mother to his kids as well. "Must you wear the traitor's jersey?" Luke's twin sister Aria asks. 

"Sorry sis but he's a good player, I hope to be just like him one day." I suppress a laugh, Luke means well. Yet I hope for his sake he doesn't abandon his girlfriend if he gets her pregnant. 

"I'm sure you will make better choices." Lucy says making her way into the living room where me and my siblings are seated. 

I wonder why mom didn't tell me she was invited? Not that I'm mad Lucy is the kindest person I know, she's like a second grandma to me and an even better great-grandma to the boys. Ace and Baxter are quick to pull themselves onto her lap. 

We haven't seen Lucy in ages due to health issues, I'm glad she's doing ok. Lucy is not only a family friend but Nathan's grandmother, the person who raised him. "How are you Abby dear?" 

"A little tired but I'm used to it by now." 

Her smile fades and I know she's thinking what everyone else is. "I'm fine Lulu really." 

"Shh the games about to start." Luke silences us, but I still feel Lucy's eyes on me. 

The game starts and it's not looking good for the cougars, when it's Nathan's turn I can't believe my eyes he's practically drunk. The same guy who refused to drink even a sip before a big game is drunk. Averting my eyes to where the twins sit coloring, there's no way I will be able to sit here and watch this. My stomach is in nots and I feel as if I'm going to throw up. 

By the eighth inning they are still just as horrible as they were the first. Nathan's up to bat again and I can't help but watch. He misses the first two times come on Nathan, where's the baseball boy I fell in love with? When he goes down clutching his arm my entire heart stops. 

I should be glad he deserves it; he shouldn't have been playing drunk. However, I can't bring myself to hate him in this moment. I look to Lucy and the expression on her face is exactly how I feel. 

This can't be good. 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Sorry for the extra short chapter it's been a busy week. 😩 how is everyone's week going? 

P.s I'm putting this on here so nobody gets confused Magnolia creek is a made up town, and the cougars are made up as well. 😊 also Abby's brothers full name is Skyler Luke Williams but most people call him Luke. 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Friday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks