Chapter thirty-one || The call

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 

There's a lot of things I like. 

I like the smell of bacon when you first wake up in the morning, coffee with little to no sugar, baseball obviously, Disney movies, waking up next to Abigail Williams, but my all time favorite thing is the sight of my grandma with the boys on her lap as they flip through an old picture book. 

"Oh, look boys that's a picture of your dad when he was around your age." 

They laugh and laugh at the sight of me in nothing but my baseball underwear. That's another thing I like the sound of my kids laughing. When Baxter was in the hospital all I could think about was how horrible of a father I am. 

Any responsible parent would have taken any precaution to make sure their kids were ok, not me I left my little boy in the hands of someone else and it resulted in him having an allergic reaction to peanuts. 

"How old we're you in this picture daddy?" Ace calls me over. The picture is me as a boy in my baseball uniform. The picture under that my eyes aren't focused their looking away, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Abby must have been nearby. "I think I was around fourteen or fifteen." 

Lucy turns the page to a picture of me and Abby in our cap and gown smiling like we had forever together. "It's momma and daddy." Baxter says looking up at Lucy. She laughs, "it's a picture of all four of you." 

My brows furrow but the more I think it over, it makes sense. I left Abby that night, and she told me she found out a few weeks after that. So, she was pregnant that day and neither of us had a clue. My eyes stay glued to the picture as Lucy and the boys giggle and take turns talking. I can't seem to look away. Fuck I'm an idiot. 

My phone must ring because Lucy taps me on the shoulder, "Nathan dear your phone." That's when I hear it the familiar toon of '𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚' by Justin Bieber that Abby changed in college. I never did have the heart to change it after I left. 

"I'm going to take this." I say looking at the number, "I'll be right back." Stepping into the kitchen I answer the phone. "Nathan?" His voice is husky and deep just like I remember it. For a second, I'm confused as to why he is calling me. 

We haven't talked since that day in the hospital when he basically fired me. We didn't end on the best of terms, still if coach calls you answer. "Yes...this is him." 

"Good...good look there was something I wanted to talk to you about." Now he's making me nervous. Is this a normal thing? My ex-coach calling me to talk about things a month after I was fired. "Look son I know things ended awful for you. But I saw the passion in you when you played, and I hate to see that go to waist." 

My head starts to feel light he can't seriously be taking everything back? What would I say, do I even want to go back? "My assistant coach recently got offered another job and the fucker left us. Well...it got me thinking maybe someone younger someone like you could be what this team needs. So, what do you say?" 

Wow! This is not what I expected at all. An assistant coach to my dream team, the team I once played on myself. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity why shouldn't I take the job? I'm about to say yes when I hear laughter coming from the living room. Turning I see Lucy playing chase with the twins and Benny. 

My heart sinks how will I explain this to them, to Abby, to Lucy? I promised Abby, I wouldn't leave her again, but considering recent events would she even care? It's not like she's even talking to me. "So, what do you say Nathan?" He asks me again more urgent this time. 

"Um...can I think about it? It's not that I don't want to...because trust me I do. But there's some things I'd like to clear up before I make any decisions." His silence seems to go on forever and it scares me that he is going to take the offer back. Would it be better if he did? 

"Of course, I didn't expect you to make a decision this fast. Take as long as you need but not too long because we still need answer." Laughing we say our goodbyes and I promise I'll have my answer by next week. Setting my phone on the counter, shuffling to the living room where the boys are riding Benny like he's a horse while Lucy films it. 

"What on earth is going on in here?" 

Lucy turns off her phone and stares at me. "The boys got rowdy and started chasing Benny. I thought it would be a cute video to show Abby, besides he quit enjoys the presence of kids." It's definitely the kind of video Abby would find adorable. The thought makes me smile then it fades when I remember the decision I have yet to make. 

"What was that about?" She asks gesturing to the kitchen. Looking over my shoulder to where I was standing mere seconds ago. Realizing I can't avoid this forever I pull the ban aid off. "It was..." 

Hesitating only made her curiosity grow. The truth is I wanted  to tell her it was nothing and leave it at that. But I had to get this over with sooner or later, and sooner would be better. "That was coach h-he was calling about an assistant position that opened up." 

I don't miss the way Lucy's face falls, or the way she looks from me to the boys then back again. "What did you say?" She finally asks not even trying to hide her disappointment. "I told him I'd think about it. It's a big opportunity a once in a lifetime chance, but still, I want to be sure before I jump to any decisions." 

She nods along to everything I'm saying but I can tell it's hurting her. I get where she's coming from, I made a promise and now it might have all been for nothing. It's not like I want to hurt the people around me, Will they—Abby hate me if this job ends up taking me away again? 

"So, what are you going to do? You have to at least have given this some thought?" 

"Yeah..." 

"And?" 

"I would be crazy not to take this job. But at the same time, it would be wrong to go back on every promise I made." She pats my hand. "Abby...won't judge you and the decision you make." 

"I know that but..." going quite, nodding towards the boys. "I'm scared at how they will react it's all just confusing me." She smiles actually smiles and I know then she will be ok with whatever decision I make. "It's your choice Nathan and yours alone." 

"I know," I say quietly. 

"Come on boys why don't we go outside?" 

They cheer and follow Lucy out back. If it weren't for Abby and the boys, I would have taken this job in a heartbeat. It's not like they are holding me back Abby would never do that. I came back, got to know them, made promises. I can't just take it all back now, at the same time I really want this. 

Fuck I'm screwed! 

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Shorter chapter this week.☹️ Do you think Nathan will take the job offer? 

If you're enjoying my book All in the Game. Please click the star and share your thoughts in the comments. I will update chapters every Wednesday so be on the lookout.–Morgan 💕

And to enjoy even more bookish content and get even more info for my stories follow me on TikTok and Instagram: moe_lovesbooks