Chapter twenty || Gifts are the way to a woman's heart

𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧

Back when I was still in the hospital recovering, I often wondered what kind of life I would live without baseball, but now that I'm back home I never want to leave. It's a dream really these past week. Abby's been the best part about coming home, and don't even get me started on the twins. We're the family that's found our way back to each other. 

In a way it's like I never left Abby and we stayed together raising our family. There are times I often wonder what it would have been like had I stayed, and gotten to raise the boys alongside her. I missed out on so much that's time I will never get back. 

But I enjoy the time that's spent with them now, park adventures, chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, and endless laughter that fills the house. It's something I never knew I wanted until now, now I don't ever want it to go away. 

As for Abby every moment spent with her is a dream come true. She shouldn't have forgiven me, not after the way I ended things. Her trust means everything to me, and that's why I'm doing everything I can to make it up to her. 

I want her to know that I won't ever leave her again, she means the world to me I just wish I'd realized that sooner. It would have saved us all this pain, and suffering. Opening the door to a realtors office, the lady at the desk says, "Mr. Talon-Hardings will be with you in a minute." 

James Talon and me were old buddies in high school. We haven't talked in a long time, and I probably should have come to see him once I arrived back in town. I feel bad honestly but I'm hoping he can help me out with something. 

"Well...well...well if it isn't my old pal Nathan Scott back from the big leagues I see." 

"Hey Jamie," I say patting my old friend on the back like it hasn't been four years, but a few weeks. "How have you been?" 

Stepping into his office his answer hits me in the face. He's clearly married to Ryan Hardings and they have two kids together. "So...you and Ryan?" 

I don't miss his smile as he sits down. "Yeah, he makes me happy." 

Good I'm glad James is happy. We planned on going to college together, and hopefully to play on the same pro baseball team one day. However, he got hurt at the start of senior year ending his baseball career. Even now I can tell it hurts baseball was both of our lives. And while I'm sure he's sad all the time about how it ended for him, I'm not. Because he got the better life the one that in the end I wanted more than anything...even baseball. 

"What about you and Abigail Williams?" 

He and I had this bet going on in high school that I would never get a girl like Abigail Williams to go out with me. Back then she was out going and confident about herself while I was a little on the shy side. I did this to her I made her who she is today. 

"Yeah...." Is all I say in reply. 

"Is she the reason why you are here today? Looking to buy a house so soon?" My eyes go wide. Shit! Rumors spread fast. She can't know about this it will ruin everything. Shaking my head I say, "not quite and she can't know about this either." 

"My lips are sealed." He speaks. 

Leaving James office, I feel proud of what was accomplished today. This is something that means a lot to Abby therefore it means a lot to me, so if I can help her with it, I'm going to. That's what my meeting with Jamie was about. Now the only thing to do is show my present to her, and see the look on her face as she realizes what I did. 

But first I need to work my shift at the grocery, and grab some things for tonight because I'm making dinner tonight. My shift ends early so I head back home...home that's still a little weird saying.