Prologue: The Ebony Carriages

It was a lovely, peaceful day in the city of Osaka, Japan. At the prestigious White Sakura Girls Dormitory, tomorrow is the final day of school before the start of the summer quarter. The students had just finished the school finals and are looking forward to spending the summer holidays of fun with their families.

On top of a hill overlooking Osaka, four young high school girls sat upon the soft green grass enjoying their activities. All the while, the orange sun above them began to sink low into the horizon, coloring the sky with beautiful shades of orange and purple.

 All the while, the orange sun above them began to sink low into the horizon, coloring the sky with beautiful shades of orange and purple

One of them, a youthful blonde-haired girl, laid on the grass and gazed up at the fluffy clouds, watching them slowly drift past. 15-year-old Madison Kingsleigh is a polite, sweet and well-spoken girl who craves adventure and hates boredom. She is also imaginative and curious, eager to learn and explore the unknown.

18-year-old Anna Thatcher is determined, fierce, and extremely hot-blooded, but she is also a sweet, kind and loyal girl. However, being a former delinquent, she's still clearly a tough rebel at heart and doesn't let anybody tell her what to think and how to act. Even so, she possessed a heart of gold and cares deeply for her friends.

16-year-old Jodi Triton is possibly one of the nicest girls one could ever meet. She loves to learn about the world around her and is open-minded to many things. With fiery crimson hair, a sweet, loving, adventurous personality and a beautiful voice to boot, Jodi is appraised by both her father and her peers as a brilliant singer.

And lastly, there is 18-year-old black-haired Talia Nassar. Talia is the type of girl who likes to be practical and free. A dreamer who is beautiful, free-spirited, confident and kind, she is also feisty, strong-willed and defiant. She isn't afraid to speak her mind, nor will she hesitate to stand up for what she believes is right.

"So, you girls got any plans for summer fun?" Jodi asked. Anna shrugged casually. "Dunno." she said, scrolling through her phone. "If I could, I would go for a tour around Hong Kong, or possibly Shanghai."

"I hear that Shanghai is great during the summer. Of course, it can be hot, crowded and noisy there." Talia said. "Well, yeah. I know the streets can be quite crowded, but, hey, the food and the shops there are great." Anna replied, looking up from her phone.

She then turned to face Madison. "What're you gonna do this summer, Madison-chan? Got any plans?" Madison just sighed as she continued to stare up at the purple clouds, watching as they drifted across the orange sky.

"I don't really know. Aunt Helena and Uncle Edward are sometimes busy with the bakery." she replied. "If we have some time to plan a trip, we could either go visit Paris or Vienna. But you know something, girls. I've been thinking." Her three friends turned to look at her.

"Yeah? What've you been thinking about?" Anna asked curiously. "What if there's a world we can all escape to?" Madison said. "A world where nothing is quite as it seems. If we had a world of our own, everything would be nonsense." Anna scoffed. "Tch! As if I'd believe that." she said.