Prologue 15: The Faceless Monster

As the ghosts cackled behind them, the five students bolted down the rail tracks. As they ran, Ace and Deuce quickly took out their magic pens and blasted each ghost with their magic as they tried to get away from them.

The mine was so barely lit that they could hardly see anything that was in front of them, but they had to continue running. Finally, they couldn't run anymore, and they all stopped to take a breather. Grim panted heavily. "Haah...Haah... They're still chasing us, yanno!" he exclaimed, pointing at the incoming ghosts.

As they were catching their breath, Ace, Deuce and the three girls braced themselves for any possible attack from the ghosts. Then suddenly, the ghosts stopped in front of them...and they started to pant heavily.

"Haah... Haah...! Stay... with... us...!" the fat ghost said breathlessly as he suddenly slumped down and wiped away a sheen of sweat from his brow. "Phew!" he sighed. Grim stared at the ghosts as his jaw dropped to the ground in utter disbelief. "Why're are the ghosts out of breath too?!?!" he asked.

Even Deuce and the three girls couldn't believe what they were seeing

Even Deuce and the three girls couldn't believe what they were seeing. "Do ghosts have lungs too?!" he asked. "I had no idea they can do that!" Aria exclaimed. But Ace wasn't planning to stick around and ask.

"Can you leave that 'til later?! Let's go!" he said as he picked up his feet and ran down the mine shaft. "...Tch!" Deuce tsked as he, Grim and the three girls ran off with Ace. The ghosts have gotten their second wind, so to speak, and resumed the chase, much to their delight.

The five teens ran as fast as they could, all the while Ace and Deuce continued to fire their magic at the ghosts to shake them off their trail. In the midst of them running away, one of the ghosts cackled as it dove into the earth and travelled fast towards the five teens.

With a horrifying screech, it grabbed hold of Aria's ankle, causing her to scream and fall to the ground. Ace and Deuce stopped running as they saw Aria getting dragged away by the leg with the ghosts coming in close. "Help! Help me!" she screamed. "Arlo!" the girls, Ace and Deuce all shouted.

"Let go of him!" Deuce shouted as he fired a blast of magic at the ghosts while Ace rushed over and picked Aria up, grasping her hand as they got back to running

"Let go of him!" Deuce shouted as he fired a blast of magic at the ghosts while Ace rushed over and picked Aria up, grasping her hand as they got back to running. After a while, they managed to shake the ghosts off their trail and reached what looked to be the center of the mine.