Prologue 1: The Coffin Room...and Grim

"Huh...? Wh-Where am I...?" Those were the first three words that sprung into Madison's mind the moment she regained consciousness. Her eyes were met with darkness as soon as her brain started to function correctly.

As she moved to sit up, both of her forearms suddenly bumped into something solid. "Ouch!" she yelped. Wait, what is this? As Madison moved her hands in front of her, she could feel a smooth touch of... wood. Smooth, solid, and by the sound of it, really thick wood. "Huh? Where am I?" Madison wondered. Then she remembered.

"Oh, yes. I remember now. Those two black horses suddenly came and we..." She was suddenly jolted out of her thoughts when she heard a rattling noise coming from outside the box. It sounded as if someone small was shaking the box's lid. "Huh? What's that noise?" she asked.

"Crap. People are coming. Gotta get a uniform while..." a muffled voice spoke from outside the box. It sounded like a male's voice. "Huh? Who is that? And what does he mean by uniform?" Madison silently wondered.

She then heard the box lid rattle above her as the stranger tried to open the box's lid. "Grrr!! The lid is too heavy." the stranger grunted from the other side. "Time for...my secret move!" Madison raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Huh? Secret move? What does he—?"

Before she could ponder any further, she heard the person yell out, "Guwaahuuh~~~~ There!" Then suddenly, the box lid was engulfed in blue flames. "F-Fire?!?!" Madison screamed with fear as the box lid immediately flew open.

As the blue flames subsided, Madison saw the box lid crash onto the floor. She then quickly scrambled out of the coffin...and landed face-down on the marble floor. "Ow!" she groaned. As Madison sat up and looked at her surroundings, she saw, much to her complete shock, that she was in a dark room full of floating coffins.

They were large and hexagonal, with glossy ebony black lids and golden keyholes. They looked heavy and large enough for a person to comfortably enter—indeed, they looked like they were specially designed for that purpose.

In the middle of the dimly lit room stood a fountain, spouting green transparent water while a large round mirror floated at the far end of the room

In the middle of the dimly lit room stood a fountain, spouting green transparent water while a large round mirror floated at the far end of the room. Up above her, an elegant black chandelier hung on the ceiling. Pearls and dangling crystals strung from the chandelier to the buttresses on either side of the ceiling.

"Oh, my! What is this place?!" Madison gasped in awe as she looked around the room. Her sky-blue eyes widened at the sight of the floating coffins around her, then she turned her gaze to the box that she was previously in.

It was not a box, but a coffin. No wonder the lid was heavy, she had been sleeping inside a coffin! Poor Madison shivered fearfully, feeling like she was going to faint. She then heard a voice speak beside her. "Ok, ok. Gotta get..." As she turned to face the owner of the voice, Madison gasped in shock.

She saw a small cat-like creature with smoky gray fur and large cobalt eyes standing right next to her. Bright blue flames glowed and flickered inside his ears, the same color as his eyes. Around his neck was a white ribbon with black stripes. He was standing on two paws and had a pitchfork-like shape at the tip of his tail.