The Recital To End All Recitals

The moment I realized the annual showcase was this week, I could have not groaned any louder. I had to hold back the desire to grab the poster and tear it off the wall. Then take it to my house and burn it. Seriously. The showcase is the chance to show everyone what we've been working on this past year. It's supposed to be good, but it's not. Mainly because Abby will be a million times harder, telling us that we have to give the people perfect performances.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewitton won't notice that Kennedy wasn't listening to the music for a second.

Thanks to the show, we have one additional dance. It may not sound like much, but when you have to perform at least eleven times in three hours, it's more than enough. At least we didn't get any extra solos.

Also, I was reminded of last year's showcase. That was when we had the auditions for Annie and I got called back. I really wished something more happened after that, but it was starting to seem like an empty promise. I still could remember the excitement I'd felt, and how much I wished something big was waiting for me.

Nia

Genevieve    Mackenzie   Giselle

Brooke   Chloe   Maddie    Paige

The on-show group routine was hip-hop. I was terrified of it, and I didn't know how it was going to turn out. Paige was going to perform with us wearing the boot, so that was another risk factor. As we started learning the dance, I realized that the dance was, in fact, just jazz. Pure jazz. There was nothing hip-hop-y about it, and we were set up to embarrass ourselves.

Looks like Mr. and Mrs. Lewitton will notice something after all.

It was a really busy day, with learning a fake hip-hop routine and taking the photos for the yearbook. There was where I learned that I'd be performing two solos and my duets with Maddie and Chloe, just to add a little more pressure.

When the tech and dress rehearsal day arrived, well, it arrived.

After walking offstage after yet another group dance, I started my way back to the show's dressing room with Maddie.

"Do you get everything that happened with the love square?" Maddie asks as we continued walking.

"They made up in a day," I answer. "And I wasn't even there."

"It's, like, they magically made up," Maddie says. "Because they were about to kill each other the week before and then they're besties."

I stopped in my tracks, turning to look at her. "Are you suggesting that there's another reason they made up so quickly?"

"Yeah." She answers. "Think about it!"

It made sense. They were about to kill each other weeks ago, but then, they magically made up and pretended nothing happened. Giselle also complained a lot about dancing with them, saying that she didn't understand why it had to be in the show-- the show.

The show!

"What about the show?" Maddie brought me back to reality.

"What?" I ask.

"You were yelling, "the show!"." She explains. "Do you think the show has something to do with it?"

"Yes," I answer, then raise my eyebrow. "How did you know I was talking about that?"

"You were murmuring," Maddie says, resuming our walk. "You were murmuring all of your thoughts. So Giselle was complaining that much?"

"I still don't get how I was murmuring it," I admit, following her. "I gotta keep my mouth shut."