A Cool Distraction

"I told you guys it'd be a cool distraction."

September twentieth of two-thousand fourteen. Around two months after the fourth season wrapped filming and it was still airing every Tuesday night.

July fifth of two-thousand fourteen. The day I won yet another title, making them nine now. When I stood in front of that audience, grinning from ear to ear and a tiara was placed on my head. But then, I walked back to the dressing room with the rest of the team, and it was now one of the things I regretted the most.

If I hadn't tried to follow Chloe to check up on her, the argument would have never happened. I would have never yelled at Abby, and maybe things wouldn't be the way they were now.

They weren't the worst, but I had been through better. One of the only positive sides may have been that she stopped calling me Evie. Now the only name she'll call me is Genevieve, which I didn't mind, at least if she hadn't spent the first month calling me "blondie" instead of my given name.

She hates my guts, and I also do.

I'd find myself thinking back to the day it all happened. How I could have prevented it. If I had just left the room, or maybe if I hadn't even closed the door, none of this would have happened.

At the end of the day, it was all my fault.

I should've said no. I should've pulled away when I had the chance, but now I can't do anything.

And it hadn't even been worth it. Not even forty-eight hours after the competition, I had been blocked by Chloe on every single social media platform we both had. The only way I could feel a bit better was that she had blocked everyone else. Nia was the last one she blocked, and she sent her a message on our behalf, but not even an hour after it appeared as "viewed", the Frazier girl had been blocked by who once was her best friend.

This time around, it seemed like she was gone for good, and we started to give up hope.

That Saturday afternoon, Lexi had convinced some of us to go watch her sister compete. Her younger sister, ― who I had no idea existed until she explained she's her half-sister from her father's side ― Ashley, was an ice skater, and she would be competing in New York that same day.

That same week, my two worlds had collided, so ― besides me ― the other two girls who were joining Lexi were Maddie and Sadie.

To say I was excited was an understatement, and they've been getting along great! It was so freaking cool!

"That's a lame pun," I commented as I sat next to Lexi while Sadie and Maddie sat in front of us. "And it's cold in here."

The brunette laughed but was then shushed by other people around, so she whispered. "I told you to bring a jacket."

I rubbed my extremely cold hands together and blew at them. "I didn't think it'd be so cold."

Sadie turned to look at me. "Eves, it's a literal ice rink."

"But I didn't think--" We were shushed again. "Sorry."

Scared of getting kicked out, we sat in silence and started watching as different skaters competed.

I couldn't lie, ice skating looked like it was fun, but we didn't have time to do things like that. The last time I skated was almost two years ago, and it was when Melissa and Mom were yelling at each other while filming for the show.

But ice skating ― most particularly figure skating ― looked like it was also a lot like dance, something I was starting to get exhausted of.

Being one of Abby's least favorites means that you'll always end up in the back of the group routines. It also means that she won't give you that much attention ― which is actually good ―, but she'll underestimate you for that same reason. It was a never-ending mind game with the older woman.