Family Comes First

TW:

"Congratulations, girls, the group was the overall high-scoring group routine." Miss Abby started off. "All right, you are going, once again, to Ohio. Columbus, Ohio."

Candy Apples. Again.

What was interesting about the pyramid today was that there were ― like usual ― three rows, but the middle row only had one headshot on it and the usual top with one. The other six headshots were all in the bottom row, and that rose the question: "who were the two lucky people that were in the middle and the top?"

It started being answered as soon as the teacher started revealing the headshots, starting with one that was probably shocking, but I didn't mind it either. "Maddie." And just like that, she continued. "Mackenzie. Giselle. Kendall. Chloe. Nia. Because every single one of you did exactly what you were supposed to do. When you can't hear the music and something goes wrong, you keep dancing."

Melissa started clapping and the rest of the mothers soon followed the blonde's lead. Some of the girls also clapped while the others simply smiled. With many options-- I clapped once.

"But Kalani stole the show. She was the second overall high score of the competition." Miss Abby revealed the middle headshot and the girl smiled. "And on the top, we have Evie. She performed her first pointe solo and she was the overall high score winning solo of the entire competition."

While everyone clapped, I couldn't help but think about how I had failed.

I needed a three-hundred, not a two hundred and ninety-five.

Genevieve

Kalani

Nia    Chloe   Kendall   Giselle   Mackenzie    Maddie

The teacher continued. "This week, moms, I am deciding on the new team. This unveiling of the new team is really the final audition in Pittsburgh."

"And they will all come here?" Holly questioned.

Miss Abby nodded. "They will all come here. Girls--" She turned back to us. "You will have somebody on the new team that is gonna go up against you. Will this new team live up to your success? Will this new team have what it takes? I don't know." The teacher then shrugged. "Alrighty, I want you to know we're having auditions for Mackenzie's video. Mackenzie, we're gonna be auditioning in-house. I am utilizing my other students. Do you understand that?"

Mackenzie nodded. "Yes."

"And Mackenzie will be making the final decisions on who is being selected." Miss Abby told the rest of us.

"No," Madison mumbled from right next to me. "She's not gonna pick me."

"I am going to pick you." Her younger sister assured.

Some of the mothers laughed at the interaction as Miss Abby pointed back and forth between the Ziegler sisters. "Is that nepotism? Is that what's that called?"

The younger brunette turned back to the teacher. "Only if she's good at the choreography."

"Let me give out the assignments. Let's go." The older woman moved on. "Now, this week, moms, I might not be there. As you know--" She turned to look at us. "My mother is dying. She's not gonna get better. She's not going to be cured. Right now, what the hospice care tries to do is to make her comfortable."

My eyes were already burning and I held back the tears.

This wasn't a place to be crying in.

"Can I say something?" Melissa piped up. "I just want to tell you that-- thank you so much for letting me be such a part of your mom's life." She teared up. "These past couple of years, we've been-- your mom, like I told her today, she looks right in my eyes and I said, "You know, mom, you are my mom now because my mom left me so long ago." I love her so much-- I love you."