Abby-Phobic

It was six in the afternoon when I was called downstairs by my brother, although I hadn't been given any reason or explanation about it. However, there was one thing I knew: he was acting too different than usual, which made my curiosity come alive once again as I slowly made my way down the stairs and into the living room. When I looked up from my sock-covered feet, I realized that the rest of my family was there, including Ava.

The nervousness kicked in as soon as I realized what was about to happen. Mom wanted to talk about everything, but I didn't feel ready for it. I'd have to see all three of them the next day and I was sure they would find out soon enough. I didn't want to imagine how they were going to react to me breaking the rules, but as I stared at my family, I didn't know if that was my biggest worry at the moment.

I wouldn't break down, I was sure I wouldn't, but as more guilty I felt and the longer I stood there, I was starting to doubt myself.

Then, as soon as my mother asked me to tell the story, I started off.

This week, the Hunt duo were gone ― thank God ― and instead, Jade and her mother Loree would be joining us. Along with Lexi, it makes it two dancers from the select team to be performing with the original team. Still, Lexi has been performing with us for weeks now and this is the first time that Jade will be performing with this team besides Lexi and I.

"So," The teacher got everyone's attention. "Have you all welcomed Jade?"

Abby: With both Maddie's and Evie's stars on the rise, they could be called away at any moment for a music video, or a photo shoot, so I need to be able to grab any one of the girls from the select team to fill their spots. So, this week, I've invited Jade to join the elite team, and perhaps I could let Lexi officially join in the next couple of weeks. I just hope neither of their mothers opens their mouths and screws it up for them.

She turned to the mothers. "How about you, moms? Have you welcomed Loree back?"

"Yes." The new blonde mother nodded. "They have."

Well, they did bombard her with questions as soon as she stepped foot into the dancer's den.

"I don't want moms that are useless. I want moms that I respect, that respect me. " Abby continued talking. "Now, Jade, you weren't with us last week. Neither was Evie." Not the eye contact again. "Last week, Miss Evie was filming a music video, just like Maddie--"

And she didn't even let me speak.

"You guys won. Congratulations." We all clapped. "Powerhouse Dance Competition. We were the overall high-score winning group." Soon, the pyramid started being revealed. "Chloe. You were second in the competition. You know how I feel about second. That's the first one to lose." She shrugged. "It's tough getting to the top, but it's even tougher staying there."

Christi grimaced in response, even though she seemed very unpleased by her daughter's spot in the pyramid.

The teacher continued. "Nia. You made it into the top five. You were fourth. I was kind of hoping for one, two, and three. When your teacher asks you to practice your faces in the dressing room, just do it." Neither Nia nor Holly commented. "Giselle. You were good, but you were not great. You're still falling behind the younger dancers when you're the one who's supposed to be the leader-- Well, when Lexi wasn't around, but even back then, you didn't." Not a single movement. "Mackenzie. You lost your duet partner in the group, but you didn't pull focus. Do I think you could stand up a little straighter and taller? Absolutely. Am I gonna stay on your back? Absolutely." The woman told the youngest dancer in a strict tone. "I have a lot invested in you, and I am not going to let up on you until you're everything I think you can be.