She's A Maniac

TW:

"We went to POWERHOUSE Dance Competition in Cincinnati, Ohio, and we won." Abby starts. "The overall high score winners! That Cathy's sitting in that audience having to watch you guys win that overall? Priceless."

Some of the moms laughed as smiles appeared on all our faces.

We beat Cathy and her super-boy team!

"Brooke. Not only did you forget the routine, but you talked to Rosa Parks." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Why are you talking to Rosa Parks?"

"I was, like, oh, my gosh, I just messed up so bad," Brooke explains, an amused tone in her voice. "And she jumped on the thing. I wasn't real--"

"And she's like, what do I do? What do I do?" Nia adds.

"And I was like, oh my God." Brooke finished, resulting in the two girls laughing at the memory.

"Kelly, you're laughing." Abby turned over to the moms.

"Because she was funny." Kelly smiled as she covered her face with one of her hands.

"I don't think it's funny." Abby turned back to us. "We could have lost. Do you have any idea what happened up there?"

Just like that, all the smiles and laughs were replaced by confused looks and shut mouths. As Abby's voice rummaged throughout the now silent room, Kelly defended her daughter. For some reason, that resulted in Abby dismissing the oldest Hyland for the week, meaning that she wouldn't be performing or joining us at all.

"I have Mackenzie. You didn't dance." Abby moved on as soon as Brooke left the room. "Tell me, how's the foot feeling now?"

"It's getting better," Kenzie spoke up with an uneasy smile.

"Have you learned that if you stay off of it and rest it, that it will heal?" Kenzie nodded in response. "So, doing swing-through cartwheels isn't going to help you." Next headshot. "Nia. You were outstanding. I thought you were the right choice, and I thought that you were beautiful in the costume. I think Rosa Parks would be very proud."

We all clapped as Nia smiled.

There was something that confused me: if Nia was outstanding, then why is she on the bottom next to Kenzie and Brooke, who didn't dance and messed up? She was the lead in the overall high-score winning dance, why is she on the bottom under Kendall, who was second to Maddie?

"Annie. You kept up with the older girls in the group dance and I want to see you climb back to the top of the pyramid." Abby continues. "Chloe. You were part of a duet. You won the overall high score in the duet/trio division. Did you win? Yes. Was it the best performance of your life? No."

Christi looked elated about her daughter being on the second row. Guess that after weeks of not being on the pyramid, being on the second row is more than a wish come true for the mother-daughter duo.

"Paige. You came to me, you asked me for the duet. I gave you the duet. That was good. It's up to you to want it and I keep telling you that." Abby explains. "Giselle. You won first place in your division. You made everyone feel something. Maybe it was anger or rage, or both, but you showed it."

Maddie

Giselle   Paige    Chloe   Annie

Kendall   Nia   Mackenzie   Brooke

"Kendall. You have another solo. This time we're gonna work on your stamina. Start jogging in place and don't make a sound." Abby announces.