Camouflaged Maneuvers

Happy new year 2013.

I was looking forward to a lot of things this year. Zane would be turning fourteen, I would be turning thirteen, and Ava would be turning one. I wanted to do a double party with Paige, but her birthday is in November while mine is in March.

The Christmas Eve party was amazing. Kendall helped Maddie with the games, replacing Genevieve, and it went better than Genevieve could have ever done. It didn't even feel like someone was missing.

Nick and I met up there, and I'm really confused about what "the next step" is going to be for us, but I'm really excited about it.

But I wasn't as excited about the pyramid.

"Of course, we have to talk about Bernardsville, New Jersey." Abby starts. "Second, second, second, second, and first." She looked over to Annie. "I guess we already know who's on the top, right?"

"It isn't surprising anymore." Kelly comments. "It's always her or Maddie."

"There's a reason it's always her," Abby tells the mother before turning back to us. "It's okay. Everybody needs to be knocked down a few pegs. Even you, Maddie. Such is life."

Life, like a lifeline?

"So, let's talk about the group dance. You looked exquisite, but I didn't see the envy. I didn't see any of you trying to get the guy to love you. The tragedy of the love story fell short. If you want to be second, then you did a great job. If you want to win, you might have to go back to the basics. I'm not gonna yell at you or scream at you or anything else. I'll just smile and be sweet and nice and you be second."

Abby was acting extremely weird, but on the good side, which was even scarier.

Everyone seemingly thought the same as I did, because they were all visibly confused by the teacher's words and actions. Was it a new year's resolution or something?

"This week, we will be traveling to Minneapolis, Minnesota. We will attend In10sity Dance. We've been there before. We're going again." Abby announces. "So, let's move on to the pyramid."

If Annie's on the top, then, I wonder who's on the bottom. Maybe the dancers from the duet?

"Mackenzie."

That does not look like the dancers from the duet.

"Fifteen points between you and Annie," Abby explains. "I could easily just replace you entirely with the girl who's standing right next to you."

The brunette turned over to her right, taking a glance at the other girl, who looked utterly embarrassed by the situation.

It really was a repeat of the Maddie and Chloe situation.

"Nia. You weren't feeling well. We can blame that. You know how to perform, but the legs get sloppy, the feet get sloppy, the arms get sloppy." Abby continues. "Paige. Your arms-- out of control. I tell you; you still do it wrong." She revealed the next headshot. "Maddie. You did four turns in the corner, stunning. Then you bobble on simple, easy things. I threw you a lifeline; you must have missed it." Next headshot. "Kendall. Remember I told you before your mom could hurt you, or she could help you? This week, she helped you. She wants you right on Maddie's heels, chomping at the bit. I think that's a good thing.

"That seems a little cutthroat." Holly comments. "But each to his own."

"If dance competitions aren't cutthroat, I don't know what is." Abby turned over to the mothers. "Brooke. You did amazing in the group dance, and your parts with Nick were amazing."

The teenager smiled as Abby revealed the second headshot.

"Giselle. Your parts with Nick and Maddie were amazing. You let everyone know the story and made them feel something." Abby explains. "You do that every week, you'll be winning trophy after trophy after trophy."