The Big, Not So, Easy

"I hope everybody had a good time in Las Vegas, I know I did. I think, all things considered, the Abby Lee Dance Company hit the jackpot." Abby started and turned to start with the pyramid. "Mackenzie, obviously, you weren't with us." Kenzie nodded. "Paige. Although the solo didn't work out too well, I thought you pulled it together, and you did a nice job in the group routine."

"Thank you." Paige quietly said.

"Brooke, I don't think what was in the number showed off your assets. God has given you a gift. You can do things that no one else can do. I'm not saying anything else." Abby continued. "Nia, I thought all through rehearsal you were outstanding, and then you stepped out onstage-- how did you go from looking like you were shooting a movie, and you were the dance captain, to, in the back corner, stage right, turning into oblivion?"

"I'm sorry." Nia apologized. "My hat messed me up."

"Nia, I was in a theater when a man's hand was severed by a set coming down," Abby told her. "Nobody missed a beat of that dance."

Too much information, Abby.

"Kendall, it was your big audition for nationals. You blew it." Abby revealed. "Tell me what happened to that number."

"Well, I just saw a couple of the soloists before me--" Kendall spoke up. "And they kind of got me nervous."

"That's why I always tell you guys when you step off the stage-- Like, watch me. I'm exiting and Holly's on next." Abby turned over to us. "She's the next contestant to perform, and I'm leaving the stage. And I feel, out of my turns. I put my hand down on a side aerial. I was the worst I could have ever been."

She proceeded to do a weird walk, which made Jill burst out laughing. Abby looked ridiculous, and I can't believe that's what she wants us to do. Like, I embarrassed myself enough out there, I'm not going back there to embarrass myself even more.

"Giselle. You were there. That's great, but you didn't really stand out." Abby explained. "Chloe, you're kind of flying under the radar this week. You definitely need to be more involved. You should have fought for that spot in the front line." She revealed the next headshot. "Maddie. You came out of that curtain blazing. You had the style, you had the look, you had the facial expressions, and you pulled the focus."

Maddie smiled. "Thank you."

"Evie. You helped Kendall during rehearsals. Correction: you did better than Kendall during rehearsals. If I knew she was going to end up sixth, I would have entered you instead." Abby explained. "The group dance? Amazing. The rehearsal? Fantastic. I've got something special for you this week, but I'll be back with that later."

Asia

Genevieve    Maddie    Chloe   Giselle

Kendall   Nia   Brooke   Paige   Mackenzie

"Girls, we are here in New Orleans to win at nationals. The Wicked Witch of the West is here to beat you." Abby announced. "You are all in the group routine. At nationals, we will be performing a tribute to the hurricane victims. Eight years ago, Hurricane Katrina devastated this city. Now, my soloists. To be "fair"--" She made some air quotation marks. "--Everyone will be learning a solo for nationals."

How?

"Brooke, you, Giselle, and Payton will be learning the same choreography--"

At the mention of her name, I turned over to look at Payton.

I had forgotten she was here.

"--Chloe and Kendall, you will be learning the same choreography." Abby continued. "Asia, you should be the automatic shoo-in, but last week, you made some mistakes. Mackenzie, your solo won the overall. Both of you will be learning the same choreography." She moved on. "Nia, Paige, you will be learning the same choreography. Maddie, I'm throwing you in there, too." As Maddie nodded, Abby turned over to me. "Evie, could you explain the reason you won't be performing a solo?"