2

Chapter Two

Vibe: Wolf at Your Door by Chloe X Halle

Alice gasped as she shot upright; the white covers tangled between her pale legs as she grasped at the long blonde tresses falling into her blue eyes. Hastily pushing her hair back, she felt the cold tears on her face like it had all been a dream—like they were proof it was all a nightmare.

But she knew better.

With trembling hands, she pulled the constricting sheets off her—practically tumbling out of the bed as she did. Running to her mirror in the darkened and cold room, she stared at the shaken reflection of the scared young woman in the white nightgown who was supposed to be her. Sliding down to the cold ground, she shakily reached out towards the glass. The sting of cold shot through her fingertips as she came in contact with the mirror. Moving her other hand up to her throat, she watched with tears welling up in her reddened eyes as the bruises created by his fingers healed and disappeared.

Magic wasn't abnormal in the kingdom, but why would...? And forbidden magic at that. She didn't have time to prepare something like this. She wasn't even supposed to die during the rebellion. So why was she alive? Who would save her? Who would dare save the corrupt and ruined Princess of Audovera? The one seen as responsible for the crowned prince's downfall?

"My lady, why are you up so early?" The voice outside of her door interrupted her.

Alice's head began to throb as she squeezed her eyes shut. She remembered that voice—could she have been taken so far back in time...?

"Excuse the rudeness, My Lady." The woman spoke right before the door opened. The tiny brunette's eyes widened as she caught sight of Alice slouched over next to the mirror. "My lady!"

Opening one of her eyes, still holding her pounding head, Alice almost started crying again as she caught sight of the maid. "Missy, you've come back, too."

The maid quickly helped Alice up, brushing her off as she lead her back to the warm bed. "Did you have another night terror, Miss Alice?" With warm, concerned eyes, the maid gently caressed the side of Alice's face. "Everything is okay now, My Lady. The nightmare is over."

Alice couldn't remember the last time someone looked at her like that—like she wasn't the devil incarnate.

She didn't know who brought her back or what purpose she was brought back for, but Alice was sure of one thing as she once again felt the warmth of her once fallen maid...

They would all pay gravely for betraying her.

~*~*~

A.N.

Oh Alice, my heart aches for you. Where I am in your story, I'm still not sure what will happen in the end, but I really wish you the best. Good luck! Fight hard!

Thank you readers for reading. I hope you end up loving her as much as I do (I'm also extremely overtired and thus way over emotional).