80

Chapter Eighty

Vibe: Grapejuice by Harry Styles

The Arvel duke did not look pleased as he stared back at Alice. His dried mouth kept parting—the words stuck in his throat.

Alice hurriedly tried to explain, knowing she had limited time left until he snapped, "I also believe it to be an injustice that has been used to create inequality between the sexes, father. The Noriad empire promises equality in the law towards all sexes, ethnicities, and religions. However loopholes have been created due to the fact parents often relinquish control of their unmarried sons' legal autonomy." She frowned, shaking her head annoyedly, "Yet, due to women not being brought up to be independent like the men, parents do not offer their daughters the same opportunity."

The duke exhaled, pinching the bridge of his nose, "It is as you've said—sons and daughters are raised differently. You cannot deny that the sexes have different strengths and weaknesses." He scowled, "Knowing this, how am I supposed to trust you understand it like a man does? Even if you challenge the law, you will not convince the king that unwed women can handle legal autonomy."

Grinding her teeth, Alice barely refrained from rolling her eyes at the obvious sexism, "I am not so simple to believe that my plea on equality would solve everything." She forced out of her teeth, "I have a plan. I'm merely asking you to please consider our relationship before you try to stop me from attempting to fix this injustice." Her nails bit into her palms as she shook from nerves and anger alike.

Her father's jaw clenched as he glared at her, "You will hurt the Arvel Estate if you lose, daughter. Possibly even if you win, too." He reminded her, "How many people in this kingdom are depending on me, Alice? Can you be sure that your actions won't cause the peasants on my lands to suffer?"

Alice swallowed, her heart picking up in her chest. It was admittedly something she hadn't thought of—the commoners and peasants that resided in her father's land.

She still had a lot to learn—catching up on the education she had missed out on in her childhood. And that was exactly why she was doing this—so women at young ages would feel inclined to learn for their own sake. So no one felt trapped due to their naivety like she had been.

Standing up, Alice bowed her head, practically begging her father to understand her intentions, "If I disgrace the Arvel name, I am prepared to face the consequences." Inhaling deeply she looked up at his aged, frustrated and offended face.

"I am willing to have my name and status revoked for this."

Even if her plan failed and she could no longer complete any plan nor even survive as a peasant, Alice knew she had to risk it... Because no one else would. No one else would remove the chains except for her.

The duke closed his eyes, his face completely worn from such an unexpected and unpleasant topic. After all, the duke rather respected traditions as most noblemen did. They kept things neat and tidy, keeping everyone under control and safe. Messing with the status quo was not a noble man's job—their job was to keep things running smoothly. They depended on the hierarchy class system, and once things became questioned and changed, the duke knew more and more would unravel with it.

And still, as he opened his eyes to look at the daughter he had all but abandoned, he knew that this was the consequences to his actions. He knew that Alice no longer trusted him to look out for her—no longer felt safe from his control... even though he now only wanted the best for her.

If there was one thing he had recently learned about Alison, it was that she had her mother's spirit—no one could stop Mary. Only death had managed to stop her.

As terrifying as it was to see, he was beginning to understand that Alice was just as unstoppable. And this time, instead of fighting it and causing her to run the opposite way, he wanted to become the place she'd seek refuge.

Letting another breath out, he finally spoke, "I will stand back and let you do this on one condition, Alison." He looked at her hopeful blue eyes,

"No matter if you win or fail, you'll do your best to trust me again."

~*~*~

A.N.

This book gives me so many emotions. Alice, you are a beautiful being. Keep doing your best, I will root for you on your journey.

Thank you for reading, lovely readers! How are we feeling about the duke? A little sexist, but he seems to be trying, I think?

The vibe isn't vibing with this scene but Harry Styles is perfection so fck it. He's fit for every occasion imo