78

Chapter Seventy-Eight

Vibe: Why Won't You Love Me by 5 Seconds of Summer

Looking at Alice with cautious yet trusting eyes, Narcisse took the mug, "I'd die for you." He spoke as if he was about to drink poison, taking a large gulp of the purifying potion.

Alice's eyes narrowed, muttering under her breath, "Even when you're in love with me I still want to punch you."

The mug shattered to the floor as the prince woozily collapsed to the floor. As the violent noise sounded out, Alice bent over the counter to watch her experimental subject just as the knights barged in.

"Your highness, is everything alright?" The one with green eyes looked worriedly to the young prince as he groaned in discomfort.

Looking up at Alice, Narcisse's face morphed into annoyance, "I should have you arrested, you ghastly witch." He spat out, glaring at her as she tried to hold back an amused grin. He turned to his men, agitation flinching in his dark eyebrows, "Leave us." He demanded.

Relaxing as they realized he was fine, the knights bowed before exiting.

"How are you feeling, your highness?" Alice leaned her body into the countertop as she looked down as him, kicking her feet up amusedly.

Grinding his teeth he looked away from her sparkling blue eyes, "Like my brain was just manipulated and twisted into a pretzel." He spat. "Even now, I feel like I'd be livid, but instead my head is too clear."

Alice nodded, "Its a cheap purification recipe—it eliminates magic, however it uses magic to do so."

"So it's like a scam—its just replacing one manipulated feeling with another." He huffed, finally pulling himself off the floor. "How... vexing."

Alice hummed, "Well, not exactly. It just clears your head of strong sensations. You regain your true thoughts and feelings as the time passes."

His cheeks were red as he avoided her eyes, "...what I said before..." he muttered, frowning as he stared at the ceiling while exhaling shakily. "Sorry... if it caused you any discomfort or brought up bad memories."

Alice shook her head, her cheeks also turning red as she understood his meaning. She honestly hadn't thought of it—compared his modified affection to the selfish lust of the past Narcisse.

It was just... different.

"I didn't think of it like that." She spoke softly, looking down as she busied her hands, cleaning the mess she made. "...you don't always make me remember those things." Mumbling she chewed her bottom lip, "Sometimes I'm just me. And sometimes you're just... you."

Narcisse's hands suddenly clasped around her shoulders—pulling her into him as he reached over the counter. His arms wrapped around her tightly as he abruptly embraced her.

"Sorry." He mumbled into her blonde hair over her ear as her fingers hovered over his back in shock. Despite his apology, his arms tightened around her, holding her almost desperately. "I'll let go in a minute." He promised, whispering against her ear in a strained voice.

Alice's heart felt like it was in her throat as she curled her fingers into the material over his shoulder blades. Just for a moment she allowed herself to close her eyes as she gently inhaled the warm scent from his skin—leaning into him. Even with the counter digging into her pelvis bone, she didn't want to let go. Not yet.

"Alice..." Narcisse mumbled, his voice breaking. His fingers tangled into her hair as he pulled his arms back from around her. His warm lips grazed her forehead as he breathed her in, "Please don't hate me forever."

Shaking her head, Alice responded by pressing her face further into his warm neck, "Just... stop talking, Narcisse." She painfully whispered, holding him tighter before her brain became too loud to avoid. It was like she was melting into him—ignoring every alarm that went off in her body as his arms wrapped around her.

Everything hurt. Her entire body ached. Feelings of anger, frustration, and hate coursing through her as she squeezed her eyes shut and tried to shut it all off...

Because underneath the maddening hate there was a feeling that was all hers. Something that wasn't created by her past, nor even tainted by it. It was something that was undeniably hers. A sensation she couldn't describe, not in words. All she knew was that it was a sensation she wanted to fall into.

And in that moment, holding onto him was the only way she knew how to feel it.

~*~*~

A.N.

Not me crying. I just want them together so bad at this point. I really hope you forgive him soon, Alice. (Although I know that's a tall and unfair order.)

Thank you for reading!

I've had this song ready to go since I realized Narcisse was not turning into the antagonist I had planned him to be. The heart in it. This entire album is like my guilty pleasure. My heart enjoys it.

ALSO I finished the one hundredth chapter and I'm pretty pumped about it (so close to finishing the scene I was having issues with!). And we're almost at 1k reads and look at all those votes!! Incredible ❤️ thank you!