46

Chapter Forty-Six

Vibe: In the End (ft. Fleurie & Jung Youth) by Tommee Profitt

Alice couldn't feel anything. Yet, everything seemed to hurt. Every breath she managed to pull into her body, only causing more pain to her chest.

Somewhere through the hazy numbness, she felt hands on her face—the hands soft, warm, and kind.

"I know I'm probably the last person you want to see, Alice." He spoke gently, the words somehow cutting through the darkness that had ensnared her since she watched Lucy practically bleed out in front of her. "But I have the top doctors and everything in between in there trying their best to save Lucy... she'll be okay, I'll make sure of it." He promised, once again cutting through the numbing and painful darkness.

"Who... who would hurt Lucy?" Alice whispered, finally looking up at Narcisse. "Why would anyone want to hurt Lucy?"

Caressing the side of her face, he pushed a strand of her hair back, "It's dangerous being part of the royal family—we're constantly being targeted."

It still didn't make sense. Before the wedding, princesses weren't actually publicly announced. Sure, everyone knew Lucy was engaged to the prince, but she'd never set foot onto the political stage. It was only when you were introduced to the political stage that you acquired a target on your back. Before then, no one had a reason to hate the future princess or even knew if she could be used in a game of chess with the royal family. The only thing to come out of murdering the future princess, was replacing her with someone new—but why would anybody want to replace Lucy if no one knew her political stances?

More importantly, why wasn't she herself poisoned in the last life? Was it just because someone hated Lucy? Or was it because they liked Alice too much?

Alice had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach as she looked at Narcisse who was watching her very carefully with worry in his dark eyes.

"I'm pretty sure someone wants me to be your princess again."

~*~*~

🥺🤭