101

Chapter One-O'-One

Vibe: The Scorpion and the Frog/Trust Me by Marc Senter

"I want to go first."

The words cut through the air just as Alice's lips parted. Her eyebrows furrowed for a moment, confused to hear the words she had yet to speak.

And then her stomach dropped as the voice continued.

"You said we can challenge anyone, right? I challenge the little kid then." The poor excuse of a human laughed amusedly, "As easy as taking candy from a baby." Useless purred as everyone in the line up collectively froze; unable to process the vulgarness right away.

A breath later, George was the first to speak, "Oh hell, the fuck, no." They spat, enraged. "You damn fucking scavenger—"

"What, Georgie?" the sketchy skinny guy scoffed bemusedly, "You want me to sit back and die like your brother did? Not happening, sib—"

"Don't you fucking dare—" George screamed, "—don't you dare compare yourself to Alfie. You're a damn disgrace that I felt sorry for, enough to pick you up off the streets—I should have left you to starve to death instead."

"William, you scum." Henry spat the word, looking murderous as Alice watched how everyone around Useless/William was straining against the invisible weights—as if all trying to attack him.

Even Jay—seemingly good tempered and nothing but a big teddy bear Jay—was only being held back by the magic. His face red as his eyes lit up with flames.

Only Creepy was smirking—staring at Alice despite the commotion.

A laugh suddenly sounded out, "Unless anyone else wants to take the kid's place, the test will commence." Geoffrey smirked—safe at his little altar as he amusedly caged everyone like animals with his staff and poked at them.

"I'll take his spot." George instantly sneered, their expression a familiar one.

Hatred. Pure unadulterated hatred.

Alice looked at Useless a few people away from the boys, seeing his wicked gleam in his bemused eyes with a sickening churn in her gut. She instantly focused on Creepy right beside him, gnawing the inside of her cheek as she inspected him.

Raising his hands knowingly, Creepy waved exaggeratedly—his smile growing as Alice's dread turned into a full blown panic.

Her eyes widened, her heart stopping as she sputtered out, "I'll do it—I'll race him." She breathed out, her head full of swear words.

Everyone wanted to speak up—Henry, Arthur, Maggie, and Jay looking stuck in a string of thoughts. Even Nathan was lost in the ordeal as he held onto Charles' shaking hand. It was clear they were all confused—not wanting to tread on either George's feet out of respect for their leader, nor Alice's who had been the initiator in fighting their dreadful fate.

"So many eager vessels." Geoffrey chuckled, "Who should I choose?"

Alice looked at George, "Trust me." She begged them.

George ground their teeth, their eyebrows stitching together unhappily, "If anyone is murdering that son of a bitch, it will be me."

Alice shook her head frantically, frustrated as she tried to step towards them; only to be held back by the weight over her. "Look at his arms." She hissed, catching Jay's concerned eye, "We have one shot right now and then it's all over."

George scowled, "His arms? He's a twig." They shook their head, not getting it.

Irritated from the frustration, Alice stared at John, "Come on, John—what are you afraid of? Me killing your so-called gods when I win?" She laughed, purposely, her voice dripping with a spiced honey, "Or maybe you're just frightened that i'll disprove of this little theory you have—the theory that these gods even exist." She cackled again, letting out a giggle as she watched both Geoffrey and John stop in their tracks as they finally heard her blasphemous words. "You know what I was taught, boys?" She licked her bloody lips, fluttering her lashes, "That gods don't create weak humans..." she paused, flickering her devious eyes between each of their stunned faces,

"Weak humans create gods."

~*~*~

A.N.

Alice's lines give me straight up chills. She just knows how to drop a mic lol I fucking love her little 'ttude. What a person.

Thanks for reading! Are you nervous or excited lol ALSO OMG USELESS IS A TERRIBLE PERSON