87

Chapter Eighty-Seven

Vibe: Close to You by Lucian ft. Jasmine Sokko

It took Alice another three full glasses of ale and even one of the pricier and stronger alcoholic beverages, honey wine, to find her footing again in the tavern after Theodore left her.

She felt shaken to her core—the idea of Narcisse being in life threatening trouble, paining her more than it should. However, the more alcohol she consumed, the more she pushed those useless thoughts away—instead, the need to see him for herself grew stronger to the point where it was all she could focus on.

She felt like she was going crazy.

Was Narcisse safe? And why did she care so goddamn much? ...but was he safe? Was he okay? Did he make it out unharmed? Did he need help? Was he asking for her? Should she go try to find him?

God, her body ached—his name in every beat her heart took.

Narcisse.
Narcisse.
Narcisse...

With rosy cheeks, Alice stood up with determination written in her thin brows... just as the tavern doors swung violently inwards.

"Bartender, pour us your cheapest ale!" The young individual in the frontlines of the cheering group called out with a laugh—the contrast of their carefree atmosphere inside the dingy, dimly lit room almost blinding. With a delicately pretty face hidden by the short spiked white-blonde fringe, their dark eyes flickered over to Alice, "And what do we have here? A beautiful lady blessing our humble little town?" They clicked their tongue with a glimmer of cold mischief written in their face.

Alice seemed to falter temporarily in the presence of such a naturally vibrant person. Even in such dirty, old clothing, they seemed to glow—their sun-kissed tanned skin a testament of their hard labour outdoors... and a blatant show of an ultimate difference between them and Alice (who was fair skinned and clearly a manufactured product of privilege). Waves of impish, malicious intent rolled off the stranger as their dark eyes flickered down Alice—right down to the frilly white stockings on her ankles, above her barely even muddy high heels and below the bottom of her perfectly hemmed skirt.

"George, don't you go making a mess of things today," the aging bartender shook his balding head, wiping off the bar table as he placed the hastily poured ale glasses onto the table, "That sentiment goes for your entire crew, Georgie." He gave them a warning look.

"Grab a chair, bevy." George grinned at the boisterous group, ignoring the bartender's words, "Our visitation just became our destination."

~*~*~

A.N.

Yay! Meet Georgie: my first enbi character. They're kinda terribly mean and angry, but I love them regardless lol.

Thanks for reading x what do you think is gonna happen??

The last three vibes have been shuffles if ima be super honest with you lmao. My energy is nonexistent to the point where looking for a song that fits is too much lol