75

Chapter Seventy-Five

Vibe: Therefore I Am by Billie Eilish

In the early hours in the morning, Alice could be found training with the Arvel estate knights.

Picking up from when she taught herself basic self defence the year prior, the knights helped her build her muscles and skills. Eventually, she could even hold an entire sword (with both hands) without her arms shaking under the immense weight of the steel. However, her preferred weapons of choice were the cold steel rondel daggers—the two small weapons swifter and lighter than the longsword. The long lethal points equally as dangerous as the heavy sword.

After a quick breakfast, Alice would then throw herself into legal jargon—learning everything she'd need to know about challenging a law, as well as what legal autonomy actually meant.

While the Noriad Empire was the biggest voice in creating and enacting laws, most domains within the empire were self-governed by the emperor's vassals (such as the king of Audovera), which decentralized the empire so that each kingdom could create their own code of law. This meant, Alice only technically needed to get the clause agreed upon in Audovera—rather than the entire empire's legal code.

Thus, all Alice had to prove was that she could conduct her life and take control of her choices just as well as the unmarried men that were given legal autonomy from their parents. And have that clause legalized for future women and men. So, she had much to ponder on what it all exactly meant and how she could prove such a thing.

For lunch, Alice would meet up with a peer or two at one of the cafés in the Capital as she practiced her political skills—brushing up on the topic as she brought herself up to date on the current politics in Audovera. This not only encouraged her to learn more political terms and definitions, it also kept her relevant in the social world—which would come in handy when vying for the crown later on.

Next on her to-do list, she'd visit the Royal Library in the crowned prince's quarters (Narcisse had told his knights that she was permitted access to any room within his wing of the palace). From there she would pick the magic subject she'd like to read up on for the day—her particular favourites were simmering spells, quick draw spells, and potions. Sometimes she'd even take advantage of the large overpacked kitchen, cooking up a variety of experimental potions to help her learn deeper, read faster, and absorb more.

To end the long day, Alice would help the servants, Missy, and the other maids plan for her coming of age party with any remaining energy she had left. With aching bones and a headache, Alice would take the sleeping potion she had somehow managed to get just right, and fall into a blissful sleep until waking early to do it all over again.

Because for the first time since waking up, Alice knew what it was that made this life different—it wasn't whoever or whatever brought her back, it was herself... She made it different. And she would keep making it different.

If it wasn't perfect or free from ugliness yet, she would just have to keep changing fate until it was. She would make the world flawless.

~*~*~

A.N.

You go, Alice. You make that world your bitch.

Lol thanks for reading :)

Sorry for the inconsistency (I'll post a second chapter in a minute)—my parents have covid and I'm just busy trying to be there for them. But thank you for your patience!