23

Chapter Twenty-Three

Vibe: Middle of Somewhere by The Neighbourhood

"Why did you freak out at Godric." Lucy suddenly asked, her eyebrows furrowed as they walked together in the Royal garden.

It had been about two weeks that Alice had ran away to the palace with Lucy. No one had asked questions and no one seemed to mind it. She had suspicions that Narcisse had probably approved it. However, strangely enough even though she and Lucy had started to take daily strolls together around the garden and even down to the arches in the public grounds (a spot Alice had come to see as the place to bug Narcisse in before Lucy's coming of age party), they never bumped into him.

She didn't realize how used to seeing him she'd become. It was... weird to not see him. Not unpleasant per-say, just, different and a bit (for lack of a better word) empty feeling.

"Earth to Alice~" Lucy waved a hand in her face as she came out of her thoughts, "did you not hear my question?"

Alice shook her head, "No, I did. I was just thinking of an answer." She partly lied—she'd gotten distracted by thinking about Narcisse. How pathetic was that? She definitely couldn't say that out loud.

Lucy grabbed her arm casually, walking arm and arm. "I know back then we weren't on great terms, but the more I think about it, the more I come to believe whatever happened then had nothing to do with me." She squeezed her arm, "Did our have a crush on Godric or something? Was that why you blackmailed me to escort those people, because you knew he was going to be there?" Lucy poked her head in front of Alice, her eyes seemingly concerned as well as confused.

She was smart. Alice couldn't help but to smile despite the clench in her stomach at the idea that Lucy might just figure it all out.

"Has anyone told you, you are really quite the clever person, Lucy?" She squeezed her arm back. "You're partially right... I'm sorry I ruined your night. To tell you the truth, I thought your date was someone else and it freaked me out when I realized I kissed the wrong guy." Alice blushed, recalling the kiss.

Lucy pursed her lips, "So who were you trying to kiss?" She looked at her mischievously, her catlike eyes twinkling dangerously. "Now who could possibly look like Godric from behind? It couldn't have been prince—"

Alice hastily covered Lucy's lips with her hand, "Don't you dare finish that cursed sentence out loud." She warned in a quiet hiss, glancing at the guards standing only a short distance away.

Lucy laughed, "okay, okay. But I know i'm right—I see how disappointed you are at the end of our walks." She teased.

Alice sputtered, "I just get sad another day has gone by. My 18th birthday is in a few short days—i'll certainly be sold off to some clown who enjoys hurting women." She excused, sticking her chin up with her dignity in tact—despite the pathetic truth in her twisted words.

Lucy frowned, "Do you really think your father would do that to you? I know that's ironic coming from me, but my parents only did because... well—" she flicked her hand out to the palace. "Wouldn't anybody want their child to live such an elegant life?"

Alice frowned, "If the prince had hurt you and you told your parents, would they have stopped the engagement?"

Lucy bit her lip, "I would like to think that they prioritize me over something petty like greed, so yes."

Alice looked down, her nails biting into her palms. She had already memorized the paper she had on her past life, she knew exactly what the answer was when it came to her father. After all, he ignored every letter and every visitation  request she had sent. He never even sent a reply. Just silence as if to remind her that all she was to him, had been an object. A living doll. Something to profit off of.

Lucy's hand brushed back Alice's blonde hair hanging down her shoulder, "you're really worried he might do that to you, aren't you? Have you tried talking to him about it?"

Alice looked at her awkwardly, "Why do you think i'm here and not at the estate?"

Pulling her towards the doors of the palace as they made their way back, Lucy laughed, "No, you had a total meltdown and accused him of doing things. That's not the same thing as a conversation." She giggled, "but it is a great opener for one—like the time I spazzed on you and we were able to actually talk after."

As the two knights standing outside the castle opened the door for them, Alice thought it over as they walked. If she had helped Narcisse and Lucy off their paths of destruction, could she have that same effect on her father? There wasn't much hope or faith in it, however, revenge or justice or whatever you wanted to call it... wasn't always supposed to be easy.

Timidly biting at her lips, Alice finally nodded.

"I'll send him an invitation to meet."

~*~*~

A.N.

Lucy you're such an influence. I love it. You get through to Alice unlike anybody else. Also why is Narcisse always being mentioned. ugh. Stahp. My irritation levels are rising as much as my confusion.

Thanks for reading! Your support is so lovely to see :)