Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35

"That's it

"That's it. We're free!" Karga called, Hebe threw him a cutting side-eye.

"For the love of God, don't Jinx it."

"Oh yes. Sorry," he pursed his lips. Mando detached himself from Hebe and took a few steps forward in front of her and the child. "No," he said. "No, we're not. Stormtroopers. They're flanking the mouth of the tunnel. It looks like an entire platoon. They must know we're coming."

"Stop the boat," Cara demanded. "Hey, droid, I said stop the boat. Hey! I'm talking to you. I said stop," she marched up to it and shot its head clean off.

"We're still moving," Karga observed.

"Flow. We're on a slope," Hebe answered.

"Looks like we fight."

"There are too many," Mando shook his head.

"Then what do you suggest? 'Cause I can't surrender."

"I could put them to sleep," Hebe suggested.

"No. You've tired yourself out enough already," Din snapped a little too quickly. Hebe put her hands up in mock surrender at his protective attitude.

"They will not be satisfied with anything less than the child and woman. This is unacceptable. I will eliminate the enemy and you will escape," IG chimed in.

"Heartwarming," commented Hebe, placing a hand on her chest. Even when she's tired and stressed, she still makes room for sarcasm, Din thought. Admiring her ability to make light of such a predicament.

"You don't have that kind of firepower, pal. You wouldn't even get to daylight," Mando replied.

"That is not my objective."

"We're getting close. Saddle up," Cara said, panic slipping through her cracking voice.

"I still have the security protocols from my manufacturer. If my designs are compromised, I must self-destruct." Hebe gripped at the child tightly, her jaw clenching as she realised what the droid was suggesting.

"You're serious?" Hebe asked.

"I am not permitted to be captured. I must be destroyed."

"Are we going to keep talking, or get out of here?"

"Zip it, Karga," Hebe hissed.

"I can no longer watch over the child," it admitted.

"Wait. You can't self-destruct. Youre base command is to watch the child. That supersedes your manufacturer's protocol, right? Right?" Mando said, his tone desperate. Hebe tilted her head, wondering if the quiet badass had finally softened at the IG units company. Maybe now he wasn't so wary of droids? A small smile graced her pink lips. Or he might just think he still needs extra protection for the child, but still, it was a charming hopeful thought.