Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23

(Sorry this chapters a bit long. I wanted to have Mando's and Hebe's fight included)

Hebe's mouth dropped open in unease as everyone stared intently with faint shock at the small blubbering green gremlin baby that had suddenly made an appearance

Hebe's mouth dropped open in unease as everyone stared intently with faint shock at the small blubbering green gremlin baby that had suddenly made an appearance. Mando felt his stomach tighten with bitterness. "Whoa! What is that?" Mayfeld stands up and breaks the short tense silence, Hebe moving subtly to stand half in front of the kid. The red-bearded man shared a glance with Mando before letting out a wheezing chuckle and began inching closer to the child. "You get lonely up here buddy? Huh?" Before he could get close enough, the kid squawked he shrunk out of view behind Hebe's back, she stared down the man sternly with her arms crossed. In all honestly, her body language radiated military discipline. "Wait a minute. Did you two make that? Huh?"

Mayfeld pointed accusingly between both Hebe and Mando, her eyes fluttered closed and internally thanked the higher power that she had a mask on to hide her burning face, she swallowed thickly while Mando simply glared holes into his head. "What is that, like a pet or something?" He glanced over Hebe's shoulder with a small smirk. "Yeah. Something like that," Mando answered flatly. While Hebe glanced to Mando, Mayfeld reached a hand out to the child, without looking she tightly gripped his wrist, the man could already feel a red mark forming, sending a deathly look at him through her cold grey eyes. He backed away with his hands up in a small placating gesture.

"Didn't take you for the type," Xi'an broke the two's tense staring contest, Hebe didn't stop glaring even after he peeled his eyes from hers. "Maybe that girl of yours has made you soft," Xi'an whispered close to where Din's ear would be, a splitting smile that didn't sit right with Hebe, something sketchy was definitely happening. "Me, I was never really into pets. Yeah, I didn't have the temperament. Patience, you know? I mean, I tried, but never worked out. But I'm thinking maybe I'll try again. With this little fella. Huh?" Hebe didn't even blink until she finally realised that in her anger she spaced out and the man had the kid in his arms. Both Mando and her struggle with the urge to rip the kid out of his grimy hands.

Hebe's eyes burned, a new golden amber fleck trickling over the bottom half of her iris'. No one could notice it as it disappeared as quickly as it came. Her fists shook in agitation as Mayfeld pretended to drop him, laughing as Mando's arms shot out to catch the kid, who looked lost. Hebe was close to losing it when Zero's robotic buzzed voice rang out into the hangar. "Dropping out of hyperspace now." She took this as an opportunity to stomp on Mayfeld's foot and grab the child carefully out of his hands, him yelling out in pain before the Razor Crest shook. Hebe felt arms wrap around her, Din cradled her into his chest, his other arm clinging to the wall in hopes of grabbing onto something. Just when she thought it couldn't get worse, the ship started swaying like a babies cot, she gripped onto his other arm and pressed the child safely between their chests.

Her face was growing warm, she hadn't been in such close proximity with the Mandalorian before and felt her stomach flutter confused by at the new mix of emotions weighing down on her chest. Little did she know, he was also puzzled, his skin heating up behind his armour at where she was clutching onto him for dear life. Though he wasn't stupid, he was aware of the thoughts flowing sneakily through his head. "Commencing final approach, now. Cloaking signal, now." Then everyone grunted as there was another violent jerk at the ship, Hebe gritted her teeth and did her best to keep the boys upright, trying to use the force to steady Mando's feet, he gently took the child from her and hugged them both into his chest, in fear of having them injured. Xi'an's high pitched scream overpowered the rattling noise, Mando loosed his grip accidentally and Hebe went down, hitting the floor next to Twi'lek who had a death grip on the surrounding boxes. "Hebe!" The Mandalorian accidentally called out her real name but no one else heard it, to busy trying to not slam their heads into the rattling walls.