Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 14

Early the next morning Din, Cara and Hebe trekked through the woodland surrounding the small village in search of a base or housing of the raiders

Early the next morning Din, Cara and Hebe trekked through the woodland surrounding the small village in search of a base or housing of the raiders. Din's mind was still hovering over yesterday, the contact Hebe had on his hand yet she respected him enough to not look at his skin, he had barely gotten any sleep. Her memories played through his head each time he snook a glance at her through the corner of his visor. He slowed to a stop and pointed to an area in the trees. "About fifteen or twenty came through here on foot." His pointer finger raised to some snapped branches on the trees. "And something big sheared off those branches." The two women glanced at each other uneasily and followed after him.

Eventually, they came to a stop and kneeled down to a huge indentation in the ground that Hebe had sworn looked familiar, it didn't look like it came from an animal, the edges looked too perfect. "Call me crazy but that looks like an AT-ST footprint," she squinted only to have the other two nod their heads in agreement. "Imperial walker. What's it doing here?"

"I don't know," Cara and Mando stood up from their crouch, "But this is more than we signed up for." The three of them made their way back to the village, Din and Cara rounded up the villagers from where they were waiting patiently for the trio. Din decided to start bluntly.

"Bad news. You can't live here anymore," murmurs of confusion sprung out, Hebe elbowed Cara playfully. "Nice bedside manner."

"You think you can do better?" Be glanced to Hebe in the middle and she grimaced. "Public speaking isn't my thing."

"Can't do much worse," the woman shrugged and stepped forward. "I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but there are no other options," Hebe knew this wasn't exactly the truth but took it into consideration the lack of manpower. There were shouts of retaliation. "You took this job!"

"That was before we knew about the AT-ST," the villagers looked confused.

"The armoured walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us," her eyes roved over the crowd in displeasure. Other villagers called out but Omera's voice overpowered the rest. "We have nowhere to go."

"Sure you do. This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller."

"My grandparents seeded these ponds. It took generations!"

"I understand. I do. But there are only three of us," the women heard a displeased hum come from under Mando's mask, they both glanced weirdly at him but turned back.

"No, there's not. There's at least twenty here!"

"I mean fighters. Be realistic."

"I'm not a martial arts teacher," Hebe muttered sarcastically.

"We can learn!"

"Give us a chance!"

"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes! You cannot fight that thing," Cara spat through clenched teeth.

"We're not leaving," Hebe was starting to feel her stomach drop, at what cost? She didn't believe she had to ability to face an AT-ST she had dealt with one only once before but it's speed and lethal weapons took out more people than she could count, trained soldiers. But these were untrained farmers, how good could they adapt? Din, who had remained quiet decided to speak up.

"Unless we show them how."

That was how Hebe got stuck in her current situation, teaching around seven of her and Cara's students hand to hand combat in preparation of potentially losing a weapon and having to defend. Cara was instructing the set up of the giant holes they were digging into the ponds to deepen it so that when the imperial walker stepped in, it would collapse. Din was currently in charge of shooting practice, lucky for them Omera had a good handle on a blaster and set a good example for the other villagers. A few of the stray villagers were crafting barricades.

The surprising coordination of them made the whole process move a lot quicker, they trained the whole day, Hebe absorbed into her work. She beckoned one of the taller men towards her, he was a good head taller than her and had to look down. "Have you ever been in a fight before?" She asked as the six others watched them. "N-no." She slid one of her feet back and got into a defensive position, he mirrored her stance. "I want you to come at me, don't just swing, think about the week spots."

"What, I can't hit you-"

"Don't hesitate," she jabbed him in the ribs, he groaned but nodded at her. He actually came at her with some speed but she observed that he was lacking technique. She swiftly ended the fight and instructed the others the fight each other, occasionally they would try to match against her but lost. Din and Cara watched from a distance somewhat impressed with her fighting style, she didn't look the most athletic but clearly underestimated her skill.

"You're good," the voice made her jump, she had been standing with her arms crossed watching the villagers, it was Cara. "I'm not one of the most hunted people in the galaxy for no reason," she smiled cheekily at the taller woman. "You look quite skinny, didn't think you had any meat on you," she chuckled and stepped beside Hebe watching her students.

"They're getting the hang of it."

"They're quick learners." The two talked for a little before Mando started approaching from the corner of their eyes, the taller woman glanced to Hebe with a small smirk and dismissed herself. "I need to talk to you," the Mandalorian quietly tugged at her arm and guided her over to their shared barn. She could feel the seriousness resonating from him as he turned and peered down at her. She tilted her head in question. "I don't think you should come with us," he said both shortly and sternly as if he wasn't asking but demanding. The girl had to do a double-take and blinked slowly.

"Well, it's a good thing I don't take orders from you," she raised her brow.

"I'm serious. You're not going. It's too dangerous, I don't need you getting hurt," hebe snapped her mouth shut and teasingly knocked on his chest plate, hearing a small clang echo from it. "Is that a heart I hear in there," she said lowly but he wasn't having it, grabbing her hand and putting back in place at her side and she sighed. "I can handle myself, I've done everything by myself for God knows how long." She nodded at him reassuringly and she took him by his arm and pulled him away from the doorway they were in.

"We should get ready, we'll be leaving soon," and with a frustrated sigh. "Fine," Mando said through clenched teeth, Hebe could see his face but she knew that he was both annoyed and worried.