Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 40

As the ground trembled and the ceiling spilt dust, Cobb Vanth raised one finger, not looking at all surprised by the mini planet quake and moved to the door

As the ground trembled and the ceiling spilt dust, Cobb Vanth raised one finger, not looking at all surprised by the mini planet quake and moved to the door. An overwhelming sense of dread encroached Hebe. The barkeep rushed out of the back door. Mando gripped Hebe's free hand and pulled her gently along to the door beside Vanth. Hebe bounced the child on her hip and gently shushed him as he cooed loudly and curiously. The wind had picked up and had started furiously spinning one of the wind turbines nearby. An alarm blared dully beneath the sound of the sand rattling. People ran around desperately to get indoors. Hebe's eyes widened slightly as she watched a large wave of sand ripple and ebb closer and closer to the town. It ripped straight through the town, the trembling floor made Hebe's knee buckle as a hot pain stabbed at her hip.

Din snagged her by the hip and help her upright, all the while watching a large row of spines shoot by them and disturb the sand before them. It crashed and flowed like a perilous ocean. Din and Hebe tilted their heads, flummoxed when a large creature without a face vaulted out of the sand and swallowed a Bantha, which was an ant compared to its size. Its large, uneven nashing teeth crashed back into the sand, where it disappeared with a thrumming, deafening whine.

"This day just keeps getting better and better. I hope we get a massive planet-eating monster next," Hebe retorted ruefully.

"Maybe we can work something out," Vanth said, then disappeared indifferently into the bar. Hebe turned to face her Mandalorian, who was gazing off in the direction of the massive creature.

"Let's go inside before the sky decides to fall down on us," she nudged him. He flinched as her elbow made contact with his sore ribs.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot about that, cya'rika," she placed a placating hand on his chest.

"It's okay. Also, don't say things like that, you're going to jinx it," Din said as Cobb walked past them slowly, beckoning them to follow him.

"I'm just being realistic considering our ridiculously bad luck," Hebe shrugged, Din shook his head but a coy smile rose to his lips. They both walked alongside Cobb and watched the townspeople fixing their damaged property, Mando cradling the child in one arm.

"That creature's been terrorising these parts since long before Mos Pelgo was established. Thanks to this armour, I've been able to protect this town from bandits and sand people. They look to me to protect 'em. But a krayt dragon is too much to take on alone," Cobb halted and rested his hand on a post, looking at Hebe and Mando with a contemplative squint. "Help me kill it, I'll give you the armour."

Mando's helmet slowly turned to Hebe, as if awaiting her opinion. She looked back at him with raised eyebrows.

"What?" She asked.

"What do you think?" He asked curiously. Cobb glanced between the two both confused and amused. Hebe was nothing short of caught off guard as Din was usually the one to call the shots, she didn't always have time to get her opinion in since she often agreed with his decisions.