Happiness to Darkness

*knock knock*

Steve groaned and flipped over his side to burrow himself further in the sheets.

"Mr. Burnside. You awake?" Marianne called through the door.

"No..." Steve responded groggily.

Marianne clicked her tongue and she could hear his slow breaths through the door. His voice fumbled to form words as he resumed his rest. Marianne sighed and opened the door.

"Get up! Chop chop Steven." She shook him gently.

"What time.. is it?" Steve yawned.

"Time for you to get up and start the day. It's been 12 hours." She tugged at him. "You've rested long enough."

"Mm not really." Steve yawned once more.

Marianne whined and lightly slapped his cheeks enough to make Steve snap out of it.

"Ok ok! I'm up."

"Hmph about time." Marianne pouted and turned around. "Breakfast is ready." She looked back at him. "So... come on down ok?"

She walked off with her hair gently swaying to the side as she was closing the door. Steve stretched his arms and sighed to himself. His eyes trailed to the table where a spare set of clothes lay.

Upon putting on the clothes Steve walked across the castle halls occasionally bumping into the children creating a group. His first encounter were the twins. He passed by an open door and looked over to the see the twins coming out of the room then stopping in front of him.

"Oh hey there." Steve greeted.

"A pleasant morning Mr. Burnside." They both spoke.

"Hey come on now, drop the sir business. Just call me Steve."

"Steve..." They said awkwardly.

"I'm heading to the breakfast that's taking place. Any idea where that might be at?"

"Indeed. Follow us." They held their hands together and moved ahead of Steve.

Steve followed closely behind them. His eyes still observed the castle walls decorated in ancient paintings and displays of knight armor. The twins turned to look behind them at Steve and smiled.

"Curious."

"What is?" Steve asked.

They said nothing and continued forward. Footsteps echoed through the hall. They were big, but had a quick step to them. Steve turned to see Alexander buttoning up his suit following closely behind.

"Ah, hey Alex? Was it?"

"Steven. A pleasure." Alexander lowered his head. "I see you found my sisters."

"Hello brother. Good morning." The twins smiled.

"Oh Steven. Have you been properly introduced to them yet?"

"Actually I don't think so." Steve looked at the girls. "I don't think you two ever told me your names."

"Soare." The twin on the left said.

"Lună." The twin on the right said.

"We are Sun and Moon in your tongue. One cannot exist without the other." They spoke together. "And as such we are unity."

"Quite an introduction." Steve said.

"They actually love boasting about their bond. It's heartwarming to us when my father treats them the same regardless of their lack of individuality."