Not as he seems

"Alexander Lee Dimitrescu." Miranda spoke.

Alexander looked at her then back to the environment around him. The gray colors made him dizzy the longer he stared, but he ignored it.

"This place...? How is it I'm here and why?"

"You merely have the gift as we do. That is all."

The vague answer made him shift uncomfortably.

"No other reason so to say?"

"It could be many really." Miranda sighed summoning two wooden stumps. "Have a seat."

He obliged slowly as she did and the two locked on eye to eye. His guard has risen more at the coy attitude she was beginning to convey.

"Should I start from the source or where we are now?" She asked.

"...Where we are now."

"Shame." She cleared her throat. "You have reached a point where not many are able to become a part of the entity known as the Mutamycete. Your father's arrogance and blind faith hoping it would save you all by destroying said entity entirely did nothing. As long as I exist this realm will always await those that long since passed or have a chance at revival." She eyed him with a curve on her lip. "You however, are special. You aren't dead yet."

"How can that be?"

"Oh come now. You don't remember or are you choosing not to?"

With a wave of her hand there was a mirage before them. Alexander saw shades of himself fighting and even darker shade. The grunts and sounds of exchanging blows echoed.

"What is this?" He asked.

"Your big moment" where you tried so hard to prove your worth to the ones watching?"

"It was a distraction..." Alexander stated. "My idea for my sister to act."

"Was it?" Miranda smiled evily. There's more to this isn't there?"

"Silence..."

A hard blow echoed loudly.

"Come now child. Answer the question."

"I said silence."

A harder bundle of blows followed up.

"ANSWER!"

"NO!!!"

A loud cry broke out before the blow knocked down the shade. A harsh slap fell across Alexander's face. His face flared with anger as he threw a hard right punch in return knocking the flesh off for a split second from Miranda's face. She remained unflinching from the blow.

"Pathetic child." Miranda gripped his throat hoisting him above. "Why do you deny your feelings?!"

"I-hrk!" Alexander gripped her hand. "You don't... deserve.... my... answer fiend!"

"Denial doesn't suit you! Answer!"

She threw him to the ground as he gasped for air. He used his arm to cover his mouth a she coughed.

"Why care so... much for it?"

"Answer."

She pulled him close to hear him more clearly.

"Answer or I will do exactly as I have done from the start."

Alexander shut his eyes tightly and held back his forming sobs.

"I wanted... to prove I could be better than dad... to protect my sister more than he could after he abandoned us!" His voice trailed off. "Do you grasp at the idea of what's that like? To be better than the one you tried to count on?!