Prisoners

"Empty your mind, Alexander."

Alexander took a deep breath as he held his fists in a stance. The patch on his eye was irritating, but he pushed past the feeling of the cloth against his sensitive skin. His father was in front of him doing the same stance. This was their daily sparring match no matter what situation it was. A ritual best left undisturbed, but observed for the rest ever since Alexander asked (F/N) to teach him self defense.

"Be shapeless. Less tense in your shoulders."

Alexander relaxed his shoulders and cracked his fingers. The muscles within his arms loosened and tightened as he let out his breath.

"Be formless."

He watched his father slowly circle him and did the same.

"Be like water and flow!"

A strike was barely dodged as Alexander swung to the side. He threw a whiffed punch of his own and stepped back regaining his composure. It was difficult to calculate a patch with an eye covered. He hasn't fully healed and it irritated him.

"Be water my son."

Alexander threw a punch and scraped his father's shoulder as he dodged. He looked at his shoulder and smiled.

"Keep flowing! Again!"

Alexander threw two more punches. Much to his disappointment his father dodged until a third connected to his left arm as he tried throwing a punch of his own. Alexander hit the side of the wrist and swung his body to have a fist blocked by his father's right hand aiming for his face. Alexander sighed as his father laughed wholeheartedly in suprise.

"So close!" Daniela cheered along with Cassandra.

"You're getting better. Remember why I teach you these things." (F/N) flexed his wrist that throbbed. "Good punch though."

"I thought it was more punishment for destroying mother's cabinet as a babe to try to land a hit rather than to be hit..." Alexander rubbed the back of his head.

Alcina gruffed at the memory from her seat.

"That too..." (F/N) said. "It's for you to be able to protect yourself and us."

"But father. Don't you already do that?"

"I do, but I won't always be able to do so. Especially with our prisoners or the men that came. The point of why you are focusing on offense instead of defense is to take adavntage of your unpredictability as my son. Claws and wings only go so far."

"Quite true." Alexander nodded. "Thank you for the sparring.

"Just remember to-"

"Be water?"

"Yes. Be water. Flowing, endless, formless, shapeless, and capable of so much more. Power doesn't come from hatred, rage, or obligation, but from truth. The truth you fight for is your decision. Remember that. A great master of technique and philosophy crafted this knowledge for it to be used in the right way. You have demonstrated eagerness to learn and adapt to this philosophy despite your clumsiness at times."

"Yes father."

(F/N) patted his son's shoulder and flexed his left wrist. A bruise was forming underneath his cloth.

"My son landed a blow on you. I'd say that qualifies for his other lessons?" Alcina said.

"He still needs to know more. I'm more curious of our miss agent over here though." He pointed to Rachel.

Rachel stood up suprised with a look of nervousness.

"Me? Fight?? But I-I can't-"

"Ooh I wanna see." Lysithea clapped her hands in excitement.