A Place to Stay

Everyone quietly walked through the tunnels back to the lair. You held hands with Donnie while your mother slithered behind the group. Nobody was really in a rush to return to the lair because Splinter's reaction to having a mutant snake live in their home might've been a bad one. Not only because it was inconvenient, but also because snakes were natural predators for rats.

   You trusted your mom, but you weren't sure Splinter would.

   -Which begs the question... What did Mom eat while she was gone? How did she survive for so long? She had no immediate access to food or water. Where did she sleep without being found?- You thought.

   As you stayed in your thoughts, the sound of Maven's voice filled the air. "So there's more of you turtles? How many? Do you all look different or the same? Are you the same species? Wait, is it still physically possible for you to go back into your shell–"

   "(Y/n)," Leo exhaled. "I don't mean to be rude to your friend... but I'm trying to think of what to say to Sensei and..."

   "Oh, no problem," you responded. "Mae, I know you're super fascinated, but you're going to have to write down all these questions for later. Everyone's still... processing."

   "Right. I just... I knew about Donnie, but I didn't know there was another mutant." Maven walked close beside you and tried to keep quiet.

   "Actually... I have a question for you," you began. "Where did that sudden... gangster come from?? I told you to run and you started cussing out the Purple Dragons, then you destroyed Fong's face! Since when did you know how to kick ass??"

   "Oh right... that. Long story short, when I lived in Chicago, my mom was a part of this vigilante group. She taught me how to defend myself and I... uh... that's it. I know Krav Maga and a little Taekwondo. That's all I'm gonna say for now," she replied with a shrug.

   "And here I thought you were a quiet computer nerd with no interest in sports." You playfully nudged her.

   "I am. That's why I'm in New York; I'm trying to stay in the nerdy-zone. And for the record, I'm not interested in sports, I just know how to kick ass."

   Maven sped up her pace and caught up to Leo, walking beside him.

   Donnie squeezed your hand and it gave you a little bit of hope for Splinter's reaction. What about Raph and Mikey? Mikey would be empathetic immediately, of course, but Raphael was a gamble.

   Your mother's gaze was set on Donnie's hand, which was holding yours. This mutant turtle really cared about you, didn't he? He held your hand so tenderly and you returned the love, feeling so comforted. Your mother didn't know how that relationship could've formed with a mutant and her daughter.

   "(Y/n)," she began. "How did... you meet him?"

   You turned to look at her and so did Donnie. "Well... I met him the night that Drake pulled a knife on me. I was really scared. A huge part of me thought I was going to die that night, but Donnie and his brothers took care of Drake. I had that huge cut on my arm and I was so scared I couldn't move. For some reason, I felt the safest with Donnie and asked him to stay... and he did. He took care of me and brought me home safely after I called the cops on Drake."

   Donnie gazed at you as you told the story. It wasn't easy to retell this story and he wanted you to know that he was still here for any comfort you might need from him.

   "Donnie and I kept in touch after that and... he asked me out. I was really afraid because I didn't want to get hurt again. I knew it was a freaky relationship to have but he was so sweet... and gentle... and genuine. His family welcomed me with open arms and made me feel strong. It made me realize how messed up Drake is and that... this is the kind of love I deserve. I deserve to be with someone that really is amazing."