Never Alone

"Take a few deep breaths with me."

- ¡んh@|€ 、€×h@|€° -

Gen took deep breaths, following the rat man's beat.

- h€ ¡§ n●+ FOOD° -

"I know what it is like having to deal this change. What you are feeling has happened to me, but it is not just the tears that cause this pain, Gen." Another breath. "It is the transition from a human to a mutant.

- ¡ đ● n○+ ųNđ€ř§+@nđ +h€ RAT° -

She stared at him with sorrow in her heart but also with confusion. Of course, this mutation wasn't going to be easy; she already knew about the fear she had of not being able to live a normal life. The conversation felt redundant after just revealing the inability to cry when she really needed it.

Splinter moved his hands with the breaths to direct her.

"Not being able to express those emotions are a partial factor, but it is not the only reason." He hesitated for a few seconds before explaining anything further. "When I was mutated, I was scared, confused... and destructive -- to others and myself. I may have felt that same insanity you may have been feeling lately."

- ¡ん§@ん¡+¥!-

"In my journals, I have called it 'Mutation Mania'."

-§top i+.-

"How did you... fix yourself...?" Gen asked, looking at him hopefully for some kind of solution.

With his gentle, directing hand, he gestured towards the exit with a look of pride and tranquility. "My sons."

"Your... turtles?"

He led with a soft breath and shut his eyes. "I once had a beautiful baby girl named Miwa, back in Japan. I loved being a father and a husband more than anything in the world; it made me feel the most human." His coppery eyes opened and stared at hers. "I still felt insane fifteen years ago, but I knew in my heart that those baby turtles were my responsibility and I wasn't going to let anyone or anything hurt them... including me."

In silence, Gen pondered Splinter's words, both anxious and curious. Fifteen years was a long time to be mutated; was she ready to be a snake for that long and possibly even longer? What if this was forever?

She sighed and looked down with defeat. "What should I do?"

"Believe me when I say... the isolation you were doing earlier today will only make this worse. Try to embrace every piece of humanity you can have, but never force yourself through those moments alone. I have learned that both showing and being shown empathy are the strongest human experiences that have helped me most."

¡んH@L€ 、€×h@LE。 M¡ゲEY ¡S €MPATH¡C.

Ç@LM

CALM.

-The freckled boy was so kind.-

◇□◇

Gen's Perspective:

I remember standing in that kitchen, overwhelmed with emotion and hunger. That pain inside began to shake me. My breath quickened, my heart pounded and I held my head, afraid of the future and feeling like such a freak... but Mikey immediately came to me and led those deep breaths in the kitchen the same way Splinter would. He asked if I liked music and I nodded, unable to say anything out loud in that moment.

Maven stared at me, unsure how to approach comforting my anxious state. The turtle boy took the pizza pockets out of the microwave and took my shaking hand with his free one, dancing to a silent beat.