Know Your Worth

Sometimes, when you would hang out with Donnie, he would seem really off. It wasn't a problem or anything; you knew Donnie couldn't be happy-go-lucky all the time, but at these times he would make a few self deprecating jokes here and there, then sometimes you would join in, but he would tell you not to talk about yourself like that.

   It was a little ironic, wasn't it?

   You wanted to ask, but you weren't sure if it was the best thing to do. The only thing you really feared was the awkwardness of being wrong although it would've been the right thing to do.

   Donnie kept to himself in his lab more than usual, so it wasn't hard to figure out that he was there, working his ass off on some project.

   "Hey Donnie?"

   He turned to look at you and spun in his wheelie chair, opening his arms. "Hi honey, come here,"

   You shuffled over and placed yourself in his lap, wrapping your arms around him sweetly as he spun back to his desk where papers were scattered and wrinkled. He kept his arm around you and used the other to pick up his pencil and scribble on his paper.

   "What are you working on?"

   "It's... kind of everything at once really. Metalhead's been acting up, so has the Shellraiser, and I'm trying to make something but... I can't figure out how to start,"

   "Just one thing at a time, Donnie. Don't push yourself too hard,"

   "If I don't, I just feel lazy,"

   "Donnie, you're the least lazy person I know. I actually came to talk to you about something,"

   "Oh okay,"

   "You've been acting weird and I just wanted to check up on you,"

   "Weird how?"

   "You don't say a lot of nice things about yourself and you seem sad or angry a lot. Usually you're so proud of yourself,"

   "To be honest, I don't really wanna talk about it. But thanks for checking up on me. You've always been so sweet like that... but if you really wanna know..."

   You pulled back a little and looked him in the eyes, letting him continue.

   "I don't know. I just feel like I'm not doing enough for the team sometimes. Leo's the leader so he makes the plans, Raph has all the muscle and gets the job done, and... well Mikey's the little brother... and the fun one. I do some things, but I never feel like I'm doing enough,"

   He was quiet for a bit before continuing to write and draw on his sheets of paper. You hugged him closely and kissed his forehead.

   "Donnie, trust me when I say you're doing more than enough. I'm proud of you. You've got the brains behind the plans. You guide Leo through the complexities of the situations and you work so hard to make your brothers feel safe here... to make me feel safe here. You overwork yourself sometimes and spend too much time in the lab... you're letting these thoughts get to you,"

   You heard him drop his pencil and he hugged you with both arms, burying his face in your shoulder. You didn't notice his breath breaking up until he exhaled. When he let out a breath, it was a little shaky and strained.

   -He's been working himself to the bone for a while.-

   "Lets go take a break, okay Donnie? We are spending the rest of the day out of the lab. Come on, let's get some pizza and have a little rooftop date,"

   There it was.

   Donnie's sweet smile.

   You both got up and left the room, going up to the surface, heading to Antonios to get a pizza for Donnie. He helped you up onto the roof and sat beside you.

   "(Y/n)? I just... y'know. Thanks," He looked at you.

   "Of course. I need to make sure you're doing okay. Come here,"

   Donnie moved closer and leaned on you. You held his head close to your chest and kissed it, making sure he could hear your heartbeat.

   "Listen to my heart, Donnie. You know what this is? This is pride and gratitude. I'm proud of you and I'm thankful to have you not only as a friend, as a boyfriend. It means so much to me to have you here with me, loving me the way you do. If you ever think you haven't done enough... think about what could have happened if you didn't help me. Not just in that alley, but when I had anxiety attacks, breakdowns, bad dreams... I wouldn't change you for anyone else,"

   You swear you might have felt a tear drop on your shirt, but it didn't matter. He was in your arms.

   "How on Earth did I, a mutant turtle, manage to end up with someone like you?"

   "I guess I'm just lucky,"

   An hour passed and the pizza was done. Donnie's energy was significantly better and you both went back home. It was like his brothers noticed instantly; they were so happy to see him.

   "Donnie! I thought you were still in the lab. I was getting worried about you," Leo said. "I'm glad you got out for a bit at least. Are you doing okay?"

   "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm doing great," Donnie smiled at you and held your hand. "I'll be right back, I just need to do something,"

   Donnie brought you to the dojo for a private moment and immediately pulled you in for a passionate kiss. Almost like the way you did when Casey was getting under his skin that one time; the kind that's usually in private, but he was so gentle and soft. This kiss wasn't meant to be a kiss to make your blood rush, it was just to tell you...

   He loves you.