You See Him Again

It might have been a few days since that last night with Drake and part of you wanted to keep the whole thing quiet from the world, but your mother convinced you that the police should be involved. She was right. That kind of behaviour could happen again not just with you, but anyone else Drake felt entitled to. After reporting the whole thing to the police, aside from the part about the giant turtles, all you could do was wait for them to do their job.

   You couldn't get those turtles off of your mind since they got you out of that terrible fight sith Drake. They were so kind and comforting. Especially Donnie; he was the nicest to you and was very understanding to your situation. You were finished your homework and your dinner, so you decided to go on the roof to get some air. You went through the fire escape and to the rooftop.

   You kind of missed him. It was a long shot, but you hoped he could hear you if you just called.

   "Donnie? Are you up here?"

   You looked around and heard nothing. You called again, and looked down from the roof. You stepped back and you sat down on a foldable chair, feeling a little silly now. The air became brisk as a few stars began making themselves known in the sky. Your heart was longing for company but your mind wanted isolation; however, the idea of either one seemed to scare you. 

   The phone in your pocket vibrated twice. It was probably your best friend checking in on you, but you didn't want to answer if it was regarding the Drake situation or your mental state.

   You looked down the street at an old movie rental place and thought about your favourite movies you would get with your mom. Maybe it'd be worth it to rent an old movie and watch something with her tonight for the nostalgia. Suddenly, you saw movement on the rooftop. Your eyes lit up and you stood from your chair. 

   You heard a shout from across the street, on the rooftop. There were four green figures that were a little hard to make out in the dark. One of them tripped the other. 

   "Ow! Raph, not cool!" a familiar voice barked.

   "Oopsies!" replied the other in singsong. 

  A little grin formed on your face and you waved your arms. "Turtles!" you called out, your voice cracking a bit.

   They looked your way and squinted at you, immediately hiding. Your smile fell, a little confused. They probably didn't recognise you. An idea popped into your head and you took out your phone to use the flashlight. You quickly flashed it four times, then twice just as quick. Two of the turtles peered out from hiding, one of them immediately began making their way over to you and the other chasing after them. 

   You put your phone back into your pocket and began waving at them again. Soon, you could make out the first one's mask to be red. He was approaching quick. The second was purple.

   "Raphael, hi!" you called out. 

   He came into sight. His angry expression became increasingly obvious.

   "Uh... Hi, Raphael?" Your voice softened.

   Then he got onto your roof. "Hand it over."

   "Hand what over?" You bit your lip, nervous about his tone.

   "Your phone that you're taking pictures of us with! What the hell was that?! We beat up your asshole boyfriend and you wanna take pictures of us?" He stepped closer.

   "I wasn't taking pictures! It was--"

   Donatello caught up and immediately went between you two. "Morse code! Raph, calm down." He took out his phone and did the same sequence you did then followed with a sweet smile that showed off his tooth gap. "Hi... You know morse code?"

   "Yeah, it's been a while, though; I only remember a few letters," you sheepishly admitted.

   "Still, it's really cool that you know a bit... How's the old battle arm treating you, (Y/n)?"

   This surprised you. "It's doing much better, thanks. You... remember my name?"

   "Of course I do--" 

   "You two can't just run off like that unannounced! We're ninjas, we're supposed to remain unseen." Leonardo climbed up and scolded the two.

   Mikey followed after. "Yeah bros, un-seen..." He hid his eyes and peeked through his fingers.

   "A little hard to be 'unseen' when some stranger's flashing their light at you and if she was taking a picture, wouldn't you rather I got her phone?" Raph grumbled.

   "Geez, it's Spider Bytes all over again..." Donnie muttered under his breath. "Sorry about this, (Y/n), I hope we're not ruining your night."

   "No, not at all. I was actually... kind of hoping to see you guys, believe it or not."

   "Really?" Mikey came over with a big smile plastered on his freckled face. "You mean you don't think we're gross and scary? Do you wanna be friends?"

   "Sure," you replied.

   Mikey had such a refreshing energy about him that you couldn't say no to his friendship even if you tried. Leo looked unsure of the whole situation but he knew it would be hard to pull Mikey out of something he really had his heart set on. You happily glanced up at Donnie and caught eyes for a sweet little moment. His brilliant brown eyes gave you a sense of warmth on the cold rooftop. That was when he properly noticed the colour of your own eyes and began to smile, finding it hard to stop.

   "W-Well, um... how about we exchange numbers? I mean, if you want to," Donnie suggested.

   "Dude, you genius!" Mikey exclaimed, taking out his turtle shell shaped phone and going to his --very short-- contact list for you to add yourself, which you did. 

   You handed your phone to him and shortly after you finished adding your information to Mikey's phone, you reached out to signal Donnie to hand him yours. For some reason, even though he was the one to prompt the exchange, he fumbled to give you his phone.

   "You guys have such unique phones; they're so advanced! How did you get these?" you commented after typing in your number.

   Leo pointed at Donnie with his thumb. "Donnie made them."

   "No way! That's impressive as hell." You smiled and handed his phone back to him.

   "ThAnks--" Donnie covered his mouth after hearing his own voice crack. He immediately cleared his throat and tucked the phone away. "Oh wow, it's getting late. What do you think, Leo? Should we pack it in?"

   "Sounds good to me, I guess. Uh, see you sometime then, (Y/n)?" 

   You chuckled at the voice crack; you found it endearing if nothing else. "Yeah... sometime. You guys really made my night... honestly." 

   "Heck yeah, dude! That's how I roll! Later, buddy!" Mikey gave you a peace sign with his three fingered hand before Leo signalled them to get down from the rooftop. 

   "Bye guys!" You waved as they each climbed down one by one, Donnie being the last to go.

   Your teeth began chattering as they left, even though your face was surprisingly warm. 

   -I've been up here for a while. I didn't even realize how cold I was getting...- you thought.

   You touched your face with your hands to warm them up before climbing back down to your apartment. You settled into your couch and let out a long breath to ease that tingling feeling in your chest. It was so hard to wipe that big grin off of your face as you replayed Donnie's sweet, dorky smile and his voice crack in your mind. It was so cute.

   Wait, cute? 

  "Cute" was the word?

   This is a mutant turtle... not a highschool boy.

   Your cheery mood took turn as you began to realize what that feeling was and you shamed yourself immediately for indulging in it even slightly.

   "Stop. This can't happen. Not again. Not again."