Your Nightmare

It was a week or so since you moved in with the turtles. Splinter was incredibly sweet and generous, giving you the extra room and letting you talk to him when you were feeling negative inside or even just to listen to him tell stories whether they were Japanese legends or stories about the turtles as kids.

   It definitely helped your newfound anxiety, but nothing really helped the lack of sleep you were getting. Often you spent your nights lying in bed awake, trying not to fall asleep, but still get some kind of rest, which never works. Then you'd fall asleep and dream about something horrible.

   Drake coming back to hurt you...

   Maven hating you and exposing your secret...

   Your mom being hunted.

   Every night was just another traumatic experience and ever since then, when you had a night terror you would go to the kitchen and drink some strong green tea or anything to keep you awake.

   Tonight your nightmare was about you being trapped, unable to move as you were alone in your apartment with loud banging on the door and a man yelling threats and shooting a gun. Nobody was there and it only got louder and louder in your head, to the point where the man made it inside and pointed his gun at you. When the gunshot went off, you woke up. You were covered in sweat, tears were dripping on the side of your face and your heart was racing.

   For a moment you were too frightened to get out of bed, but it only took a minute to get up and slowly get yourself to the kitchen aith your phone in hand.

   -4:37... Well, it's better than last night when I woke up at 3 AM.- You thought.

   You sat yourself at the table and started boiling some water for the tea. You almost didn't bother bringing a blanket because you thought that if you kept warm, you'd get sleepy again, but tonight was extra cold. The kitchen floor made your feet feel like ice.

   The kettle began to whistle in your ears. Quickly but sleepily, you rushed over to take the kettle off of the element before it could wake anyone up, but while doing so, you tripped on your blanket and dropped the kettle pouring the boiling hot water on your hand, which you quickly pulled away.

   "Oh god, no no no!"

   Someone rushed into the kitchen a few seconds after. It was Donnie.

   "(Y/n)! What happened? Are you okay? "

   "I burnt myselt!"

   Donnie walked around the puddle of water and turned off the element. He pulled you close and walked you over to the sink, running some cold water over it as soon as possible. There was both a feeling of relief and pain as the water hit your skin. He took out a small dishtowel and let the water absorb into it, then he wrung it out and brought you into the lab.

   "Let's take a look..."

   You were fighting tears as this was just... well, not a good night.

   "I'm sorry Donnie, I didn't mean to wake you," you choked out.

   "I was awake in here for hours. I was wondering if it was you boiling water. I thought it was Sensei," he gently patted the towel on your hand and blew on it gently.

   "Why were you awake?"

   "I'm just a little stuck on some mechanical stuff with Metalhead. I've been trying to link up his program with this new feature but for some reason it--- wait... why were you up?"

   "I... well... I've been having some really bad nightmares lately and can't seem to get back to sleep after them... if I do, I just get another nightmare. So now I just get up after them and make myself some green tea or coffee... whatever keeps me awake." You looked away.

   "Oh come on honey, you know better than to do that. You should've come to find me. It's not healthy to stay up so late. I don't think you even got to your REM cycle, and you need that,"

   Tears finally clouded your eyes and fell from your (e/y) eyes. Donnie looked at you. He took a little bottle and poured some of it into a cotton ball, gently dabbing it on your skin.

   "If you need to cry, that's fine, but you have to promise me that you'll go back to sleep tonight, okay?"

   "I can't... I'm just too scared Donnie,"

   "I know, sweetness. Don't worry about it, I'll help you,"

   Donnie took another bottle and rubbed small amounts on the back of your hand, then wrapping it lightly with some light gauze.

   "Go ahead to my room and make yourself comfortable, alright? I'll go clean up the puddle in the kitchen,"

   You nodded, shivering and shaking while you made your way to Donnie's room. His bed was still made. You climbed into the bed and tucked yourself in, still shivering as the bed was cold.

   -Donnie didn't sleep at all tonight, did he?-

   You curled yourself up to preserve your warmth as you wiped the still falling tears from your eyes, hearing Donnie come through the door and closing it behind him. He opened the blanket and went beside you, letting you wrap yourself around him.

   "So what are your nightmares about?" He wrapped his arm around you.

   "I don't know... they're all different. Usually it's me being completely alone. Whether its alone with Drake or just alone. I miss my mom. I keep having nightmares where she gets hunted or tries to bite me... it's horrible,"

   "So it's affecting your sleep... Why don't I try something on you that Master Splinter used on us when we had night terrors. Just relax, okay honey?"

   You rested your head on his shoulder and took a deep breath.

   "Repeat in your head and try to go back to sleep. Okay?"

   You nodded and felt his hand gently hold yours.

   "I will know I'm dreaming and be in complete control. I will be in control of my dreams. I will know I'm dreaming and be in complete control. I will be in control of my dreams..." he gentle pet your head and continued. "I know I am dreaming and I am in control. I am in control of my dream,"

   You slowly drifted off to the sound od Donnie's soothing voice and his gentle touch.

   ● ● ●

   In your dream, you found yourself in your room as a young child. The door having that loud banging noise, only your mother was yelling for you to open the door.

   She broke it off the hinges, approaching the bed you were tucked into in her mutated form. Her jaws unhinged and venom dripped from her fangs.

   "I know I am dreaming and I am in control. I am in control of my dream,"

   You closed your eyes and the room was filled with the warm lighting of your lamp and your mom was human, laying in bed beside you, reading your favourite childhood book and making silly voices.

   The dream was perfect.

   ● ● ●

   You woke up in Donnie's bed, listening to the small whistling noise be made as he softly snored. You didn't know what time it was, but you felt amazing. You crawled up closer to his face and kissed his cheek.

   "I'm so glad you're here," you whispered.