Walking the Stage

This is Walking the Stage; Jade and Leigh Anne oneshot.
*+*

Jade is rubbing her hands against the cotton gown as she feels eyes all on her. She shouldn't be feeling as embarrassed to walk down the aisle to reach her seat, but she can't hide it. Her inners are flipping as she spots a camera in front of her, capturing and displaying her on a giant screen above the graduation stage. Her entire life and reason are done. She successfully turned her parent's struggle and hard work into something she could use for the rest of her life. Jade followed in the line towards her seat before sitting on her chair. Her hands were trembling by her thighs as she rested them there.

She doesn't even know if her family members have joined her to celebrate graduation. Jade felt nauseous as she watched the rest of her peers walk in from behind the makeshift stage. There were a few friends she wished to maintain the bar, but she dropped it right before the graduation even started when she realized she was the only one putting effort into the relationship. There were a lot of fake friends that only leeched after her for her smarts and not for her personality. Jade is okay with being the brilliant girl, but what will it do in the long run? Some people don't even like it when others are smarter than them.

Jade found herself in a pickle before, but once she realized she didn't need them to continue in life. She found a much better and sweeter friend in life. The woman was a tad bit older than her by 2 to 3 years, but Leigh was sweet as sugar towards her trauma and problems. Not one bit did she try to dehumanize or humiliate Jade for her gain, and she felt butterflies inside her. Someone found an interest in her, and it wasn't due to her knowledge of many subjects.

She wasn't walking the stage for anyone else but for her the only other person to grow a relationship with her: Leigh Anne Pinnock, the love of her life.

One Jade was on the ground and walking to collect her diploma. She felt every pulse of her heart connected to her feet. With each step she took closer to the administration and principal, she felt proud of her accomplishments. Jade's left hand reached out for the diploma while her right hand stood out to shake the principal and the other two administrators. She was walking down the stairs to take a photo of the photographers of the college. Her adrenaline rush kicked in, and she couldn't focus on anything else but her diploma and her smile. She did it. She finished school. A massive sigh of relief went through her as she walked to the back to take the picture. Jade is then on her way back to her seat on the chairs.

Her eyes watched as everyone else walked the stage; she never darted her eyes to anything else. She felt an enormous pride in walking the stage and shaking their hands. She rested against the chair and held her diploma tightly in her hands.

It was a few minutes later that they were done with the second half of the graduation ceremony that the principal got to his feet to speak again. He congratulated them and asked the class to move their tassels. Jade rolled her tassel and cheered with her peers before getting up and walking in a single-file line out the door.

She has to find her mom or Leigh. She was dashing through everyone as she tried to find her mother before the crowds started to form and she was lost. That is when a pair of arms wrapped around her, and she heard a squeal.

"Eee! My baby! I am so~ proud of you!" Leigh Anne squealed as she picked up Jade to twirl her around in the air. Leigh was careful not to drop her, the diploma, or the cap. She brought Jade down to the ground before engulfing her in a hug, and she squeezed her tightly.

"Lee Lee! I can't breathe!" Jade pulled apart as she brought out the diploma to show Leigh.

"I'm so happy!" She beamed as she locked hands with Jade.

"Where's Momma?"

"She was bringing her camera over," Leigh spoke as she wrapped her hands around Jade.

"Come on," they walked down the cement pavement towards a quiet part of the building to where Norma was setting up her camera. Jade and Leigh Anne stood behind Norma as another graduate's parent took the picture. Before taking the picture, Leigh Anne cupped Jade's face and kissed her for the photo. It was a gentle reminder of who brought her to the finish line.