Chapter 29

"You wouldn't understand..." Jisoo said looking down. She couldn't tell him. It was quite embarrassing. Her insecurities always seemed vain to people. They would say she was pretending to attract sympathy. The truth was far from that.

She had grown up in a strict household. Her father was always strict with how they dressed. Everything was tailored to perfection. Her hair was always in the few hairstyles her father had agreed on. Her father always told her that only his instructions made her look good, otherwise she wouldn't even be worth a second glance. She knew that was true.

"I want to understand.", Taehyung told her calmly. He stared intently hoping she would meet his gaze but she didn't. 

She bit her lips, and kept fumbling with her clothes again. Taehyung caught notice of her little fidgeting habits. He gently placed his hand on hers which was currently pulling on her sleeve.

"You look beautiful. Trust me.", he told her gently in a low warm voice, slowly taking her hand in his, "you dont have to worry."

Jisoo looked up tentatively. A slight warmth rushed to her cheeks at his words. She bit her lip softly and nodded, "How did you know?", she asked, still not quite meeting his gaze.

"A feeling,", he told her with a smile. He flicked her forehead gently, "Let's go?", he asked, nodding his head ahead.

Jisoo drew in a shaky breath, trying to convince herself that Taehyung was telling the truth. She looked fine, right? Oh who was she kidding? She looked like a mess. She had seen her reflection in the mirror in his room. She knew exactly how she looked. The word for it was far from beautiful.

Her hand was still in Taehyung's. Taehyung peered intently at her, trying to smile reassuringly. He could see her thoughts racing inside her head, probably jumping to all sorts of conclusions. He softly whistled, a three note melody his kindergarten teacher had taught him, while slowly intertwining his fingers with Jisoo's.

The whistling broke Jisoo's thought train.  Jisoo whistled those same three notes back with a smile. Taehyung's eyes widened at this. "You know this tune?", he asked.

"Kindergarten,", she told him, "Mrs. Song had taught our class that." she reminisced at the memory. Mrs. Song had called it their 'safe song', a song to reassure someone, to express everything will be fine. She thought of the time she had gotten messy while playing. Her hair came loose and her dress got caught in something at tore at the side. She had even gotten a few scratches. She was scared to death at what her father would say. She was terrified. So scared that tears streamed down her eyes. Mrs. Song had noticed it. She gently wiped her tears away, whistling the three note melody. The teacher, still whistling and humming the tune, cleaned Jisoo's face, braided her hair and tried her best to patch up the dress.

Mrs. Song was never asked why she was crying, she just helped calm her down. After she was done, she gave Jisoo a warm and long hug, something she couldn't get from her parents anymore. "It's going to be alright.", the teacher assured her, holding Jisoo's face lovingly in her hands, "it's going to be alright when you hear this tune." Mrs. Song planted a gentle kiss on her forehead and got her some strawberries. Since then, that song had always calmed her.

"Really?", Taehyung said, "I learnt in kindergarten too!"

Jisoo looked at him, "No way,", she replied in awe, "You know Mrs. Song?", she asked enthusiastically.

Taehyung had learnt that melody in kindergarten, true, but if it was Mrs. Song, he wasn't sure. He almost had no memories from when he was much younger. It almost seemed like....nevermind.

"Haha, no idea.", he admitted, "I haven't got exactly the best memory.", he shrugged a little, "Slightly concerning I'm one of the smarter guys at the school.", Taehyung jokes.
Jisoo laughs a little bit at this, "I'd say very.", she teased.

Taehyung smiled seeing that Jisoo felt better now. He had almost a sudden urge to pinch her cheeks but he shook it off, confused where the thought arose from. She'll like me better now, won't she?

They walked ahead, Jisoo still clutching Taehyung's hand. In fact, neither of the two had noticed their hands being intertwined. It just felt so comfortable to hold on to someone, even if the other didn't have the same feelings for them.

"I'm really making you late today huh?", Jisoo said, "I hope the hall monitor doesn't catch us."

"Oh he wont write us off,", Taehyung assured her, "He's a friend of mine. As long as you're with me he'll let go."

"Makes sense I guess," she laughed, "The smart people hanging out together."

"I wouldn't call Jungkook smart.", Taehyung laughed, "Nor Jimin.". His eyes flitted down to their intertwined hands and a slight blush creeped up his face.

Jungkook. Jisoo thought of the favour. She wondered how it was going with him. If Jennie was helping him. She remembered of the time when Jungkook first told her about it. It was almost silly but Jisoo understands. It's hard to approach your crush, but he was definitely in good hands with Jennie.

Taehyung stopped for a second and looked at Jisoo. Their hands being intertwined, Jisoo stopped walking too. She met his gaze, "What happened Taehy-"
"Do you want to go on a date with me?"

————————————————————————