Chapter one

Why do I have to be late to class every time?

That's what I think as I enter the gray school building which to me looks more like a prison than a place of learning.

Unfortunately, my morning was terrible as well.

In addition to forgetting to set an alarm, my mother also failed to buy us food the day before. So I'm currently hungry and irritated.

That combination is not ideal.

Today is the first day of classes. And also the beginning of my last year.

Which I'm still not sure how to feel about.

I'm currently running through the hallways in an attempt to make it on time, which is foolish given I'm already substantially late.

And then, always my luck, I have to run into someone.

How could it be otherwise?

I grunt as I connect with a hard shoulder and my phone tumbles to the ground.

While my half-asleep brain still tries to process what just happened a very recognizable voice hisses, "Watch where you're fucking going."

I turn to face the dumbest, most annoying, disgustingly handsome asshole in this school, or whatever you want to call him.

I forgot about him.

...well almost.

I'd never admit it but during the holidays, I gave him more thought than I'd like to even think about.

I am simply pathetic.

He probably pukes every time he thinks of me, well if he ever thinks about me anyway, and that's exactly what I should do too.

"Maybe you should open your damn eyes?" I snap back at him when my mind finally returns to the present.

I just never liked him.

We first met in kindergarten and when I cried on my first day because my mom left, which is a very normal reaction he instantly started laughing at me, with his little crew of friends standing around us.

Not a fond memory.

Not that we have any at all.

He never stopped making fun of me about it to this day.

And I never stopped resenting him for it.

I swiftly grab my phone off the ground and notice his fell too.

Ha! I hope it's broken. Into a million tiny pieces of phone.

Without another word, I ignore the way he's looking at me down his nose and continue towards my class.

I storm into the classroom, my long hair all over my face.

I bet it looks like a mess right now. At least judging by the looks on my classmates and teacher's faces.

"Sorry..." I begin but my voice quietens when I see my teachers glare "...for being late." I finish, barely above a whisper, and take a seat in the back, while ignoring all my classmates' stares.

When I'm sure the teachers not paying attention to me anymore I switch on my phone, ready to let my best friend all about my first and worst morning.

But before I can get to that part, my eyes widen, almost falling out of my head.

Is this a picture of me? A picture of me as a background?
I mean, I'm all for self-love, like go you, but not even I would take myself as a background.