Chapter thirty-four

Aiden's pov

I jump to my feet when the doctor walks in. Mrs. Fortier also gets up and anxiously fiddles around with her wedding ring.

The doctor opens his mouth and I hold my breath "we were successful and the machines could be removed."

My heart instantly feels a lot lighter after those few words.
I can feel Az's mom let out a long breathe, probably as relieved as I am.

This is big step.

"Can we go see her?"

"You can, but be warned, she's still confused and maybe won't be able to recall what happened." I just
nod.

"Thank you very much." Az's mom says but I call my friends.

I already wrote Chiara a message.

All three pick up in no time.

"And?" Says East.

Theo whispers "Please be good news."

And Callan doesn't say anything, probably just waiting for me to say something.

"It worked. They got her off the machines. She's breathing by herself now." I say and it feels so good to say that.

They all say they're coming as fast as possible.

Just then Chiara comes walking into the room.

"Can we see her?"

I nod, and she walks closer.
"Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just scared." I laugh humorlessly "terrified actually. You know memory loss is an option right?"

She smiles tightly. "I do. And believe me I'm so damn scared, I was barely able to sleep since the accident. But you need to know one thing; I know Azalea loves you so very much and you two went through so much already. You two together could get through anything. I promise you that." She squeezes my arm.
"Let's go see her." I nod wordlessly and follow her.

-

"Who-who are you?" My heart drops and my face falls.

But then her blue lip turns up at the side and I know it's my Azalea.

"Baby?" Her mom whispers in a shaky voice.

"Hey mom." Az croaks and I hand her some water. "Thanks." She smiles weakly.

Her mom is now crying, holing onto Azalea's hand like her life depends on it.

When she calmed down a bit Chiara goes to hug Azalea and she also tears up.

"I love you so much Azzie. And I have so much to tell you." She whispers.

The boys all come into the room one after another.

Theo practically throws himself at Az.
"Oh Azalea. I'm so glad you're back to the living! It's been so hard with these idiots!"

We all told our eyes at Theo and Callan kisses Azalea's cheek and whispers something in her ear, but it's too quiet for me to hear.

East doesn't move. Awkwardly sanding at the end of the room.

"East?" Az calls and he looks up.
She motions for him to come over and she holds out her arms as best as she can.
East steps into them and carefully hugs her.

"I'm glad you're awake." He says and Az smiles at him.

She looks over at me and everyone else silently leaves, without her having to speak a word.

I take both her hands in mine, and just look at her.

"Azalea."

"Aiden." She smiles.

I smile back until my face slowly falls and at tear rolls down my cheek.

"Come here." She whispers and I climb into the tiny bed, next to her.
But somehow we make it work.

She kisses my forehead, and more tears fall because I should be the one comforting her right now. Not the other way around.

She brushes my tears away with her good hand.

"I'm so sorry. So so sorry Az."

"Shh, it's okay. Please sleep, it's obvious you haven't been doing much of that. We'll talk when you wake up." I begin to protest but she cuts in "I also need the rest." That of course shuts me up.

"I love you Azalea."

"Love you Aiden."