Chapter forty-one

Azalea's pov

One month later

It's been four crazy weeks.

While East woke up and my heart cried literal joy, my mom's condition worsened significantly.

Nonetheless, Aiden and I have been studying and studying without break, Theo always helping us.

Because as much as it fucking wrecks me I'm trying to get used to the thought that my mom won't be here for much longer and I want her to at least get to experience my graduation.

Since she probably won't ever experience my proposal, my wedding, maybe my first birth.
My eyes sting, but I refuse to let the tears fall.

You'd think that after, night after night of crying my soul out, I'd have no tears left. But no, they never stop. I could cry forever for my mama and my tears would never run out.

On most days that's exactly what I wanted to do. But my friends didn't give up on me.
I also had to be strong for mom and East.

East, who probably won't be able to ever walk again.
East who wanted to make a world tour.

How can life be this fucking unfair?

There hasn't been a day going by where I haven't asked myself that question.

But it won't change the present. The way things just are.

I always try telling myself other people have it worse.
But what's worse than losing your mama?

I honestly can't think of anything. Can't think of anything else that could make my heart hurt this badly.

Still, I am so incredibly thankful for my friends and Aiden.
Who has been thriving in football. I'm so happy for him and I hope he can fulfill his dreams of going to college and then afterward playing for the NFL.

One night he told me that's what he wanted, but he is scared nobody will take him, to which I laughed. Whoever doesn't take Aiden Torres is dumb.

I still have no idea about my future, I honestly hate thinking about it, therefore I kind of just ignore it.
I know I should apply to some colleges. And I will I promise.

Just-just not today.

"Babes?!" Chiara shouts from the other side of the bathroom door.

"Hmm?"

"I'm coming, so better get all the freaky stuff you and lover boy use on a daily basis away." I chuckle while rolling my eyes at her antics.

"It's clear," I say a minute later.

She walks in and narrows her eyes at me "phew."
"You ready to paint your face?"

Aiden's game, which he has to win, to convince his coach that he's still the right guy to be team captain, is today and I'm more nervous than anything.

"Mhm."

"What's with you? Come on, your man is gonna do amazing!" She's right, I have to support him today, so I take on my happy facade and get ready with C.